After labiaplasty surgery, does someone need to be there to drive you home, or can you drive yourself?

Driving home post-op

It will depend on the type of anesthetic;  I recommend discussing with your surgeon for specific recommendations.  I generally perform labiaplasty under local anesthetic in which case patients may drive themselves home afterwards.  It is always preferable to have someone accompany you for minor surgery, however when performed under local anesthetic it is not essential.  I recommend for my patients to fill their prescription for pain medication in advance and to go immediately home after the procedure to begin applying cold compresses as soon as possible.

Stephanie Power MD, MSc, FRCSC

Driving yourself home after surgery?

You can only drive yourself home if you have received straight local anesthesia only, that means no oral sedation or IV sedation.  Even then, I don't recommend it unless you have no other option.  Some offices will arrange transportation for you if needed. 

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Drive home

It is always recommended that someone else drive you home after surgery. Anyone can get light headed or have pain that may affect their driving; the result could be an accident. Thus, go the safe route. If you can't find someone to take you home, there are always services that can help you.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

If the procedure is performed under local anesthesia alone, you may be allowed to do this.  Most patients probably prefer sedation or general anesthesia.

Beverly Hills, CA

Need Driver After Labiaplasty

If labiaplasty is performed with local anesthetic alone your surgeon may allow you to drive home. However the vast majority of surgeons, me included, would request someone drive you home. It is suggested for most to have pain medicine or a relaxation pill with most local anesthetics, IV sedation or general anesthesia - all of which require someone to drive you home. Ask your surgeon for best advice.
#labiaplasty
#labiareduction

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Do I need a driver?

If it is done with sedation or under general anesthesia, then definitely yes, you need a driver. However, even with local anesthesia I still recommend having a driver as there can be some discomfort that may impair your ability to drive safely. I hope this helps!

Bryan Correa, MD

Can I drive myself home after my labiaplasty?

Well... It is always preferable, for comfort, safety and just because it's more pleasant if someone was available to drive you home. If you'll be having any kind of sedation before/during your surgery-- definitely not. If your surgery is straight local, your car is an automatic, and it is not a very long way home, you could do it. But consult with your own surgeon on this...

Best wishes for success!

Michael P Goodman MD

Driving after labiaplasty

If your surgery is done under pure local anesthesia only then it is possible to drive yourself home after. If any sedation is given to make you sleepy or completely asleep then you will need a friend or family member to drive you home and accompany you for that evening until you are fully awake. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

How soon after labiaplasty can you drive a car?

Whether you can drive home after a labiaplasty depends upon the type of anesthesia that was used, any supplemental medications that were given, and your comfort level. If you were given only local anesthesia and nothing else, you may drive. If you were administered any sedatives, narcotics, or general anesthesia, you may not safely operate a motor vehicle until the next day. However, if you have discomfort after the procedure, driving might not be the smartest thing you can do. I would recommend that you have a responsible friend drive you.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

Does someone need to drive me home after surgery?

Dear Kisses1984,

It is preferable after surgery to have someone drive you home even if you had the labiaplasty under local anesthesia.  With general anesthesia, it is against medical advice for you to drive for 24 hours since the medications can affect your reflexes and that puts you at greater risk for getting into an accident.

If you are making an investment in your body, you want to take the best care of yourself afterwards.

For more information on labiaplasty, please visit the link below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN