30 days later and the pubic mound and genitals are still black and blue. Could the allergic reaction cause a delay in healing?

The general area is still swollen from the flanks down to the pubic mound. It's been over a month since the lipo.I could hardly walk because of the size and discomfort. There was a rash that broke out all over head to legs. Turns out the medication given was the wrong one. I just want to know how long it will take to recover and the pubic mound to go down as well as the black and blue.Could the allergic reaction be from the wrong medication prescribed cause the delay in healing?

Bruising Post Liposuction

Discoloration shouldn't last more than 4-6 weeks if it is very severe.  I rarely get bruising in my patients so I am unsure how you bruised so much.  Regardless, venus legacy treatments to help this resolve quicker and so do pulsed dye lasers.  Please speak to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Healing time and the choice of medication

Bruising is a direct correlation to the breakdown of the amount of blood left in tissues after surgery. The discoloration you see is the breakdown of hemoglobin. Your body will slowly absorb the pigments, and the color will return to normal. 

Since we have no context regarding which medications you were given and for which conditions, it's not possible for us to address any concerns in regards to right or wrong medication. 

You can try modalities such as massages, heating pads or homeopathic medicines like Arnica if you would like. In the end, they truly make little difference, but time does. Given enough time, everything will resolve.

If you are still substantially bruised at 30 days, then expect the process to take quite a bit longer. Most patients' bruising is typically gone at this point.

You should bring up your concerns with your plastic surgeon since he or she has been there since the beginning.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Bruising post lipo

I would use heat and massage to help get rid of the bruising.I recommend Vit K cream to my patients post op and it really helps remove bruising.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon