I would like to ask about my first Laser facial hair removal treatment?

Hello Doctor, I am from Myanmar . last week I had my first laser facial hair removel seccion ,I have a really hairy face , so the doctor just cut some of my hair with scissors ,he didn't shave . after that he made the IPL laser treatment, but I didn't see any differences before and after , my face is just like I have before . He told me that I need to have 3 time laser seccion . So my question is , am I going to have a clean face after 3 th seccion ?

Facial Laser Hair Treatment

Hair must be shaved before laser treatment. If not shaved only the hair above the skin gets energy and does not go deep enough to treat the hair follicles. Having only 3 treatments is not enough. It takes 6-9 sessions of laser treatment to reduce 70%-90% of the hair. This is because not all hair is in its active growth phase. Also, IPL is not an effective laser for hair removal. I suggest that you get another opinion before continuing

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Facial laser hair treatment

Darker skin typically requires more treatments.  LASER hair removal on the face may require 6 or more treatments.  IPL is not as effective as LASER for hair removal.  The best LASER for medium complexion skin is either diode or Nd:YAG laser with cooling.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial hair removal

I'm concerned about this. The hair needs to be shaved prior to laser treatment. If it is not, only the hair above the skin gets energy and it doesn't go deep enough to treat. Also, 3 treatments is way too little. I'd consider 6 or more as normal. Also IPL is not a laser and is not as effective as one. Facial hair is difficult to treat, particularly if it is fine hair. Risk of creating more hair in some patients as well if they are not treated properly. I'd get another opinion before doing anymore treatments 

Steven F. Weiner, MD