My wife has had a double mastectomy and the wound is not healing?

Non healing wound with breast reconstruction

Breast reconstruction goes through phases. More information regarding your wife's chemotherapy or radiation treatments may provide useful clues as to her healing ability.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Wound healing after mastectomy

WIthout information I don't know exactly how to answer this for you. IN general we perform immediate breast reconstruction. If a tissue expander or implant was used there are small incisions to heal. If a flap procedure was performed there are incisions where the flap was taken that need time to heal.

Healing of breast flaps

Many factors contribute the the healing of skin flaps following mastectomy. Flap vascularity is key and in some occasions some trimming need to be performed to allow fresh , viable edges to be sutured together.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS