My Son Has a Narrow Philtrum Therefore Cannot Close His Mouth. How Can His Philtrum Be Broadened? (photo)

My son 14 yrs old had buck teeth & a deep bite dental issue, which has been resolved through orthodontic treatment. But due to his narrow philtrum which pushes out, he is unable to close his mouth normally. Needs to pull up his lower lip to close his mouth. Can a plastic surgery be done or what is the right direction to go. Pls advise. Not sure of what is required to do?

Doctor Answers 1

Helping with Lip Shape


Lip shape can be adjusted from the inside or the outside.  In this case it sounds like your son has lip shape that is not correct.  We can adjust the skin inside or outside often to permit the lip to have the proper form he needs.

It's a pretty straightforward procedure and is usually done in the office.


Good luck!

Jeffrey Spiegel, MD

Chestnut Hill, MA

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.