Does my skin necrosis look infected? (photo)

I had surgery on 9/30 and ps said I have minor skin necrosis and it will fall off and heal on its own, but I'm also getting sharp pains in that area and it hurts pretty bad. I'm keeping it bandaged up to help drainage which is leaking through at times. Also what is the yellowing areas is that wound separation? Does it look like its healing ok? What else do you suggest I should do? I go back to work as a barista, what are my chances of work making it worse and splitting up some more? Thank you.

Wound dehiscence

Hi Hopeful. You show no signs of abscess or cellulitis. Open wounds are always contaminated. You may separate a little more, but probably not. You need to shower and fairly aggressively wash all these areas with any soap and a soft sponge. Ideally you should then do a wet to dry dressing. This is done by dampening gauze with saline followed by a dry gauze on top. This should be done twice daily, or more if time is available. Your wounds should then heal in about 4-6 weeks. You can return to work. Make sure you have dressings available to be changed at work if necessary. Good luck. Please f/u with your ps.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

By definition the necrotic area is dead and grows bacteria. Manuel debridement and frequent dressing change with PO antibiotic keeps thing less contaminated. Good weekly if not more follow up is needed...

Skin Necrosis

Hello Hopeful,

Necrotic tissue and open wounds are infected by definition. Dressing changes should be done 2-3 times a day. It looks like you may need some debridement of the necrotic tissue. You should follow up with you plastic surgeon so that he/she can evaluate . Good luck.

Skin Necrosis

I would recommend that you see your plastic surgeon again soon to reevaluate your abdomen. There are several options for treatment that will improve your outcome.

Skin Necrosis

I believe you have posted earlier about this problem? It looks worse, and needs to be debrided (all dead tissue removed). This is done in the office without anesthesia (doesn't hurt). Leaving the dead tissue will promote bacterial growth and slow healing to a virtual halt. If your doctor wants to do nothing, you need to see another doctor.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS