Is my Skin Burned from a Cosmelan Peel?

I'm a 34yr old Black woman (medium-dark) who had melasma after kids. I had a Cosmelan peel 5 days ago at the dermatologist's and now my entire face is VERY dark brown/BLACK. I look as if shoe polish were slapped on me and I'm very worried it may be permanent because the peeling stopped yday morn. The Dr. has now said I shouldn't use the Cosmelan II which I was supposed to start last night and has instead recommended Elocom. Is this a chemical burn, will it fade, is there anything I can do?

Hyperpigmentation after aggressive Cosmelan - Melarase creams

Our office specializes in melasma and age spot treatment. Cosmelan and other peels can improve the skin, but inflammation may further aggravate your pigmentation. I would advise you to begin Melarase AM and Melarase PM once the skin has peeled in order to prevent hyperpigmentation of the skin. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles