My Saline Breast Implant Has Deflated. What Do I Do?

My Saline Breast Implant Has Deflated. What Do I Do?

Doctor Answers 7

Deflated Saline Implant

It sounds as if your saline implant has ruptured.  Don't worry - your body has safely absorbed the saline.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to schedule an implant exchange procedure.  Best of luck

Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 209 reviews

Deflated saline implant.

If your surgeon is still in practice in your area, call there first. Otherwise find a local plastic surgeon. If your implants are from Allergan (formerly Inamed, or McGhan) or Mentor, those companies will provide a replacement implant. If your surgery was done within 5 or 10 years you may have a monetary benefit toward the cost of replacement. 

If you have the deflated implant replaced promptly, it is a simple procedure for both you and the surgeon. If you delay, the capsule about the implant will start to contract, making the operation harder on you and on the surgeon. 


Good luck and best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

What to do after a deflation-


Seek a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. It will be necessary for the implant to be removed & replaced. The surgeons office can also share with you information about the implant warranty.


George John Alexander, MD, FACS
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Deflated breast implant

If your implant has deflated, you shoudl get evaluated by a plstic surgeon for possible replacement or removal.  Good luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Deflated implant

See a Board certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation.  The implant manufacturer will usually cover the cost of the implant itself but not the surgeon's fee and facility/anesthesia costs for replacement.  Donald R. Nunn MD. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Deflated Breast Implant

Unlike a flat tire, deflated breast implants cannot be patched.  The best next step is to see a plastic surgeon in your area for replacement.  Gather information about your implants, including their manufacturer, size, implanting surgeon, date of implantation, etc.  This will determine whether or not your implants are under warranty.  Also, if you want larger, smaller, or the same size, knowing what you now have will help your surgeon select replacement(s) that will meet your needs.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Deflated Saline Breast Implant; What Next?

Although  deflation of a saline breast implant may be stressful,  you should have peace of mind that there is no “risk” to your health caused by the deflation.  I would suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area who can demonstrate significant experience with aesthetic breast surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

You will likely find that treatment options include removal of the breast implants completely, removal/replacement of the deflated breast implant only, removal/replacement of both breast implants, removal/replacement and additional surgery (for example breast lift)  if indicated.

I hope this helps.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.