My right nipple appears to be more bruised and darker then my left after Gynecomastia surgery. Should I be worried?

i recently got gynecomastia surgery done. got the gland removed and also liposuction. it has been 3 days since i got the surgery. is this a sign that it is not healing properly? also should start massaging my nipples to make sure they attach properly? ive read online that the nipple may die from not getting blood to it

Healing From Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Post op gynecomastia problems

3 days post op there can be bruising and swelling that can cause the nipple areola complex's to look different. It is unclear without photos to comment but it sound like you should contact your PS for reassurance.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Concerns following gynecomastia surgery

At just three days following gynecomastia surgery, it is not unusual have some bruising.  However, if one nipple is darker than the other, let your surgeon know.  They may want to check to see that the blood supply to the nipple is not being compromised.  Avoid massaging your breast until you've checked back with your doctor.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Healing concerns after gynecomastia surgery

It is impossible to tell without a photo. For the best advise though you should contact your surgeon, who will know you the best, and exatly what was done.

Post-Operative Gynecomastia

I recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to be sure that you haven't started some bleeding which can happen after any surgery. As far as massaging the nipples, each plastic surgeon has their own opinion about post-operative instructions. Check with your doctor on what they recommend. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

It is hard to evaluate your condition with out seeing any pictures.
I recommend to see your surgeon as soon as possible to be evaluated.

Good luck!

Bruising after Gynecomastia Correction

It is not unusual for there to be asymmetry of bruising and/or swelling following this surgery.  However without an exam it is not possible to tell if this is simply asymmetrical bruising or a more worrisome problem.  You really should consult with your surgeon.  No one online can really help you.

As far as massaging, it is to early for that and massage does not increase blood supply in any event.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon