My right breast appears higher and larger than my left breast it that normal? (photo)

'm 14 days post op and my right breast seem very different from the left. I have 340ccs Allergan silicone implants (textured, round,high profile). One breast is fuller and larger.The other breast (left) is smaller. What is your opinion about what is going on? My doctor told me that its normal, but I am very worried. I have photos of before, right after the surgery and right now.

Breast Asymmetry

You do have a little asymmetry in your preoperative photo, but it is mild. Your early postop photo looks quite good and fairly equal volume. Your 2 week picture seems to show more swelling in the right, but the angle is a little different. If it truly is larger, this probably represents swelling, seroma or hematoma which likely will resolve over time. Continue to seek continued follow-up with your surgeon.

Asymmetry

It is normal to have some asymmetry in the breasts naturally. If you had it in the preoperative period, implants tend to accentuate that.

It is difficult to tell in the picture that you took since the angle is upwards, but your augment looks reasonably good. You early post op pictures look excellent, the last picture is difficult to interpret because of the angle.

I would say that if you are not satisfied with the way your breasts sit, go back and tell your plastic surgeon about your concerns. I am sure that he/she would want to know and may be able to help you. If you need a revision, these are often done at no cost (except for facility fees) if done within one year of your initial operation. If you wait to long to tell your surgeon, you may not be able to take advantage of this.

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven General Surgeon