What would be my recommended Permalip implant size for both upper and lower? (photo)

I've been to two consultations. One doctor said he typically only does 4mm. The second doctor told me because my upper lip practically disappears when I smile that she would only do the smallest, 3mm, size on my upper lip and the medium, 4mm size on my lower. Most reviewers on Realself have said they are relived they got the biggest size, the 5mm, especially after the swelling goes down and their lips become more natural. What do you recommend?

What would be my recommended Permalip implant size?

Thank you for your question. Lip Implants may be a reasonable option for those individuals who are seeking permanent lip enhancement or for those who have not been satisfied with the longevity of effect afforded by hyaluronic acid fillers. The PermaLip (Perma Facial) Implant is FDA approved for permanent lip augmentation. This implant is currently available in three sizes (diameter); 3 mm, 4 mm and 5 mm. During a consultation, your surgeon should have implant samples for you to examine. You can evaluate for yourself the size, shape, and feel of each implant. Also, your surgeon will have the opportunity to examine you, learn about your goals and provide his or her recommendation. It may be helpful to inform your surgeon about whether you had ever achieved with prior treatments the lip appearance that you like. If so, how was that achieved? Using filler? If so, how many syringes? Do you have photos of your lips following that treatment that you can show the doctor? After consultation, most women choose the 4 mm implant. Which size may be recommended for you is highly variable and would depend upon your current lip size and shape, your goals, and your aesthetic taste.

What would be my recommended Permalip implant size for both upper and lower?

I find that the smallest lip implant makes little to no difference in the appearance of your lips.  The majority of my patients get the largest one, as it is not really that large.  At one time, the company has said they were going to make a larger implant, but to date that has not happened.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD