My Question: Is Microdermabrasion Safe for my Skin Type?

I have black skin, Class V. I also have pressure urticaria,i.e. when pressure is placed on my skin I can get welts or bumps. My husband's stubble can cause a rash on my face and neck.

Microdermabrasion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Microdermabrasion is a very superficial, non-invasive treatment, and is generally a safe for patients of all skin types - we frequently use it on patients with type V skin without any issues.  Your pressure urticaria may be more of an issue - microdermabrasion typically requires the application of a vacuum hand piece to the skin and I worry that the suction and pressure may trigger your urticaria.  If you really would like to try microdermabrasion, please schedule a consultation with a practice that is highly experienced in this procedure.  I'd recommend that you first try a small test spot, to see how your skin reacts to the treatment.

Alternatively, depending on your cosmetic concerns, you may want to consider a light chemical peel.  Many light chemical peels are safe for patients with type V skin, and will also provide many of the same benefits as microdermabrasion without applying any significant pressure to the skin.