My PS said I need to wear a compression band and no bra to make my Implants drop.

My ps said I need to wear a compression band and no bra to make my Implants drop. I am afraid if I don't wear a supportive bra it could cause my implants to become droopy or bottom out. My implants are very high and do need to drop but, should I not wear a bra with the compression band as well?

Implants do not drop overnight

so trust your surgeon and follow your surgeon's advice as your surgeon wants you to have the best result possible.  My patients wear straps until they feel its 'good enough'... before they reach perfect as you will still have some settling down the road.

Compression band/bandeau with or without a bra

The choice of garment to use after a breast augmentation varies from patient to patient and from surgeon to surgeon. The regimen you have described is very common and very reasonable. In my practice I frequently use this approach for patients who have very tight breasts and have larger implants placed. For example, in a younger patient who has never been pregnant or breast fed or had a large weight loss the breasts are typically very dense and tight. In this type of breast the skin takes a while to stretch out. If a moderate to large implant is placed it usually takes a while for the implant to settle into a pleasing position. You can either wait for gravity to help the implant drop or speed things up with the band. When I put my patients in a band I often have them go without a bra. On the other hand, if I have a patient for whom I have to lower the fold of the breast I will sometimes use a band up top but support the new fold position with a bra. Ultimately your best bet is to follow the advice of your surgeon since he or she knows what works best in their his or her hands. Good luck. 

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Compression band and bra after breast augmentation

The use of a compression band and/or bra after breast augmentation varies significantly between surgeons.  Some advocate no use of any garments and other recommend using them all of the time.  I would suggest you follow your surgeon's advice closely as he/she knows your case best and has a protocol in place based on previous experience. 

Naveen Setty, MD

Bra strap after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon may be wanting to influence the decent of the implants within the breasts over the first six months after surgery as it usually takes several months for the breasts to settle out. If the strap is uncomfortable I would revisit with your surgeon to see if there are other options. Otherwise, I would recommend following your surgeon's instructions and follow-up.

Bra/bandeau for chest after breast implants

Some surgeons recommend a bandeau or upper compression band to help push the implants downward. Best to ask your surgeon what he prefers.

Bandeau Use

The use of a Bandeau (compression band) can be helpful with implants that ride high.  It is not unreasonable to use this to help implants settle.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Garment

It is best to listen to your surgeon, I assume your implants probably need more time to settle and come down. It would be hard to imagine a bandeau causing bottoming out