Are my Problems from Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty Permanent?

I am 42 years old and in October 1 2011 had upper and lower blepharoplasty with co2 laser under my eyes. I has a huge amount of swelling and recovery time but I am lefthaving to go back for several more procedures. I have seen opthomologist twice and the medical diagnosis he had was dilopia, trichiasis and hypertropia/strabismus. I am left w/double vision, eyelashes growing into my eye and cross vision. I have gone back for steriod shots, removing of adheasions and pulling lashes out.

Doctor Answers 2

If these issues were all caused by your eyelid surgery...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

and they are still present a year out from the original surgical procedure, then without further intervention, yes they are likely to be permanent.  Permanent complications can be caused by cosmetic eyelid surgery.  It is for this reason who and how your eyelid surgery is performed is critical.  It sounds like you are taking the necessary steps to improve the outcome of your surgery.  I am concerned that you are having lashes pulled out.  Generally if there is misdirection of lashes following surgery, a better option is rotational eyelid margin surgery rather than lash epilation.  Double vision is very uncommon with cosmetic eyelid surgery but it is reported.  It is one of the more serious complications and depending on the cause, most likely will require eye muscle surgery to correct.  While careful management will help each of these issues, I suspect that you would have never had eyelid surgery if you really thought you would be dealing with these issues.  I encourage you to see a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon for a careful assessment of your current status.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory of oculoplastic surgeons all over the world to aid you in finding a well qualified surgeon (asoprs dot org).

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Consult with a well-respected occuloplastic surgeon to see what can be done.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I understand your concerns.  I would recommend consulting with a well-respected occuloplastic surgeon to see what corrective measure can be done.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.