What Are my Options?

i had a breast augmentation almost four years ago. i was unhappy with the results right away didnt believe the surgeon took enough time. four months later my right breast ruptured went to see surgeon and he advised that it wasnt an emergency, a few days ago my right one ruptured and now im left looking severly lopsided.friends told me to get lawyer and sue for compensation and correction. not sure what to do.. any advise

Doctor Answers 9

Rupture after Breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

     Ruptures happen after breast implants.  I would tend to agree that you should contact the plastic surgeon's office to determine if the implants have a warranty, which will defray costs.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry to hear about your problems and unsatisfactory experience.  Seek an opinion from another board-certified PS about implant replacement.  Implants do occasionally break or deflate - but fortunately, there is little long-term damage from this, and it can be corrected with routine surgical methods.  Also, your implant warranty should help to keep your costs down.

Breast implant rupture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I would suggest first discussing your concerns with your initial plastic surgeon. They have the best understanding of what has transpired to date and can hopefully help you achieve your goals. If the relationship with your initial plastic surgeon becomes irreparable, or you lose confidence, then I would suggest consulting with other board certified plastic surgeons.

Replacing the ruptured implant shouldn't be a large undertaking, and there is a warranty associated with the implants. While I am sure that you are frustrated, is rarely the best option. It will take a large amount of your time and the amount of damages will not make it worth it.

Hang in there and best of luck.

Jeff Rockmore

You might also like...

Implant replacement

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have lost confidence in your surgeon, then find another Board Certified surgeon, with good reviews. Mentor and Allergan both have warranties on their implants, so implants should be free, and there will probably be money available for facility fee as well.


Although you can certainly seek an attorney, you will probably have a hard time finding one that will take the case since the out of pocket expenses to repair your augmentation will probably be less than $3000. In addition, you would have to prove malpractice on the part of your surgeon , and that would be difficult if not impossible, because a ruptured or leaking implant is not normally the surgeons fault.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Failed implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry that u haven't had a good experience from your breast augmentation .  My advise is to call and work with your original surgeon. Discuss your concerns and try to work together to improve your situation.  If you have lost confidence then get a second opinion.  Implant failure in an inevitable outcome with all breast augmentations. Replacement is an elective usually not an emergency procedure 

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Breast Implants and Options?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery.

 At this point, your best option is to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. During this consultation process, careful physical examination and a complete communication of your goals will be necessary to accurately advise you.

 Nothing in your description of events sounds like there is any reason to hire an attorney.  Of course,  more accurate advice will be obtained during in-person consultation.

 Best wishes

Options after breast implant deflation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As long as your implants are made by either Mentor or Allergan and placed in the U.S., you are covered for implant replacement costs, as well as some compensation for future surgical fees. Both companies had similar warranties 4 years ago. You should be able to go to any plastic surgeon of your choice to undergo revision surgery using your warranty. You should have received the warranty information at the time of surgery 4 years ago. Hopefully you still have this information tucked away somewhere safe at home. If not, you should be able to obtain your implant information from the surgeon who performed your breast augmentation 4 years ago. Hope this helps!
Thanks for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 178 reviews

Breast Implant Deflation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 There could be some good news. Contact your original breast surgeon. Obtain a copy of your operative report and any records regarding the type/ manufacture of your breast implants. Many breast implant manufactures guarantee their products against deflation. You can contact them yourself regarding product warranty's/ guarantees.
 If you were not satisfied with your original surgeon then, consider another. Take your records with you to the consult. After an examination, review of records and some questioning your new practitioner may be able to advise you regarding litigation against your original surgeon. Consider a member of the ASAPS. They are experts in revisional breast surgery. Best,


Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Advice on breasts.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your post. It sounds like you have experienced ruptured implants twice and these are saline - since it deflated and now you are lopsided. Saline implants can rupture more easily than silicone, but no implant is perfect and if you want silicone breast implants you need to accept and understand the risks. You should consider getting a second opinion from another surgeon. You should also check to see if your current breast implants are under warranty by contacting your previous surgeon. If you do have a warranty then you might receive a replacement at no cost and financial support for additional surgery. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 215 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.