Can my Nose Be Restored Years After a Reduction? (photo)

My nose was broken in 1973 and allowed to heal caved in almost flat to my cheek bones in the middle. Since I could not breath out of it My father took me to a doctor who asked me to pick out a nose from a chart. I picked a curved nose by childish ignorance and ended up hating it. I have lived with it for years and always wanted to have it straightened. Can this be done? Thank you, Stan

Doctor Answers 5

Revision rhinoplasty after a reduction rhinoplasty procedure

The short answer to your question is that you can restore some balance to your nose. From the photos you provided it appear that you have an overrotated and shortened nose which lacks adequate dorsal or profile height. Depending upon what was done and an examination, you may need rib cartilage to repair and restore the height to your nose or possible ear cartilage can be used. I would definitely seek a surgeon with experience in revision rhinoplasty surgeries for this type of procedure.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Revision rhinoplasty

Yes, a revision rhinoplasty can be performed to make your nose look better. The steps involved will depend on what exactly was done to reconstruct it. A close examination will be vital, with xrays and internal nasal examination.

Good luck!

Ahmed Abdullah, MD, FACS
Fargo Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Corrective Nasal Surgery (Second Rhinoplasty)

It looks from your pictures like you have either collapse in the midsection of your nose from the trauma or that your previous surgeon has removed two much cartilage and bone from the area.  Either way it can be a fixable problem with placement of cartilage grafts most likely from your ribs.  I would recommend consultation with a plastic surgeon or craniofacial surgeon who has specific experience with this type of problem as this can be more involved than a traditional rhinoplasty.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 137 reviews

Revision rhinoplasty

Certainly you can have a corrective rhinoplasty to restore bridge height.  This is by augmenting the dorsum often with graft material.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Nasal Reconstruction 39 years after Trauma and Surgery

Your nose can be reconstructed with cartilage grafts to restore function and appearance. See a rhinoplasty surgeon who specializes in revision work. The procedure will be described in detail after a consultation and physical examination.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.