Can my nose be more narrow and still look natural? (photos)

I am a 19 year old African American female that hates her nose. Sounds shallow, but truthfully, I am far from that. Lately, I've been put down about the size of my nose by people around me, even my own boyfriend. I have made up my mind on getting the procedure done, however I am unsure as to what I need exactly. All I know is want my nose to be more narrow whilst maintaining an ethnic look.

Keeping a natural ethnic look is possible with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist

I'm sad to hear that others are making such comments. Yes, a properly trained and experienced rhinoplasty specialist should absolutely be able to come up with a surgical plan that both addresses your concerns and honours your ethnic heritage and natural look. It's very important that you have a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who has experience in African-American rhinoplasty and who can show you before and after pictures of patients with similar ethnic backgrounds and the outcomes achieved. S/he will be able to explain the procedure and answer your questions. Our clinic has a VECTRA 3D imaging system, which simulates the expected results so you can preview what you will look like as the result of a rhinoplasty.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural look post rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.
The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Natural

Sure.So long as the procedure is done well any result should look natural. You should have abetter idea after a consultation.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Can my nose be more narrow and still look natural?

Absolutely.  You can certainly have rhinoplasty to refine the tip and the alar base.  I think that rhinoplasty is really about listening to what the patient wants and then having the technical skill to execute those wishes.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions every week. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Well-performed rhinoplasty surgery may lead to a narrower nasal appearance.

You may benefit from consulting several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what you could expect to achieve after well-performed surgery. Subtle refinements are necessary to keep your nose looking natural.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnically-appropriate rhinoplasty results

Undergoing any surgical procedure requires careful attention to detail and consideration for different options and surgeons.  

Trust your face to a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or a board-certified general plastic surgeon with very extensive rhinoplasty experience.

Ask to see before and after photographs and consider obtaining second and third opinions before you make any decisions. This is a procedure in which the best chance of success obtaining an excellent result is the first time around.  

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrow, Natural Nose

You can reduce your nose and achieve a natural result consistent with your ethnicity if you select an experienced surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery. Look at the results of that surgeon's work in patients like you.

Narrowing a Nose with Rhinoplasty

From your photos, it does appear that you could benefit from a rhinoplasty to narrow your nose. How best to perform this would need to come after an in-person consultation. There are many techniques avalailable, but with limited photos it is impossible to tell you more than only it is possible. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD
MarinAesthetics.com

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

To narrow a wide nose, medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones are required. Tip suturing techniques to the lower lateral cartilages can narrow the tip itself, when necessary. To narrow the wide nostrils, and alar platy is performed. The rhinoplasty procedure is an outpatient surgical procedure the takes approximately an hour  and a half to perform by closed rhinoplasty techniques.