My mom wants to get a non-surgical eye bags removal. What kind of treatment is best for her? (photo)

She is 47 years old now. What kind of treatment is best for her? Is Juvederm the right choice for her? Thank you very much.

Doctor Answers 3

Blend the cheek and lower eyelid into a continous curve.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Mandy,

I agree with Dr. Kopelman.  Your mothers midface appears to have lost volume.  If the eyebags were reduced by itself, then her face would look flatter under the eyes but the groove that she has going from the tear trough across into the malar ligament will still be there.  By augmenting the midface in a deeper fashion using Juvederm Voluma or Fat transfer may be a better way to blend the lower eyelid and cheek into a continous area, instead reducing the eyelid bag and still having the diagonal shadow splitting her cheek on both sides.

When you go to a consultation, it would help to see how she used to look like when she was in her 20's and 30's.  I find that having younger photos is helpful in planning treatments and procedures.

Good luck.


Dr. Yang

New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Non- surgical treatment eye bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is not a lower eyelid bag problem. Your mid-face on oblique view has lost volume and appears flat and depressed . Filling the depression below your eyelid with Voluma, Sculptra or your own fat will improve the appearance of the mid-face  and will greatly improve the continuity of the surface contour that starts at the lower eyelid margin and  continues over your cheeks. 

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

I think surgery would be far more effective

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
She has eyelid and midface changes. I would recommend a lower eyelid blepharoplasty and midface lift. You can see pictures here on Real Self of the effects. 

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Edison Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.