If my Memory Gel Breast Implant Suddenly Got Squishy After Rough Handling, is It Broken?

I got memortgel implants (450ml) in April and after rough handling, one is much squishier than the other and makes noises. What is the likelihood that it's broken? Is there any way to find out without an MRI- I just lost my job!

Doctor Answers 8

Ruptured implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the implant does not feel the same as it did before, it is probably a good idea to go for an exam with your doctor. You may need an MRI to definitively tell you id the implant is ruptured.

Sudden changes in the feel of a memory gel implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

a sudden change in the feel of any implant can indicate a few things:

  1. the capsule can be torn
  2. the implant can be broken
  3. Mri scan is best
  4. mammogram and U/S are 85% accurate
  5. U/S alone is less expensive and may give an answer

Breast Implant Ruputre- what to do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question.

Sudden change in the texture and feel of implant usually signals rupture of an implant.

In case of saline implant rupture is signaled by sudden decrease in size of implant with asymmetry compare to the opposite side.

In case of silicone implant, the rupture can be most commonly noted as a decrease in the size or feel of implant.

It would be best if you could consult with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible so you can determine the most likely diagnosis.

An ultrasound or MRI can be very helpful in making a diagnosis and putting your mind at ease.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Sajjadian

The squishy implant usually means rupture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A sudden change in the texture of a breast implant often signals a rupture, and the squishy feel of the silicone gel outside of the implant envelope is typical. Have you surgeon take a look, and an MRI will be able to confirm.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Silicone Gel Implant Rupture?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

The first place to start would be to see your plastic surgeon for direct examination. A good history and physical make go a long way to alleviate some concerns/anxiety.

After your surgeon examines you he/she may feel that additional workup is necessary. This may consist of ultrasound or MRI studies to evaluate the presence of any fluid present ( usually responsible for “making noises”) or the presence of a ruptured silicone gel implant.

Generally speaking, it would be very unusual that “rough handling” could generate enough force to rupture the current silicone gel implants. Nevertheless, given your concerns and change in feel of the breast follow-up with your plastic surgeon is indicated.

I hope this helps.

Injury to a breast implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It  is less likely that your implant is broken because of the firm, gelatinous nature of Memory Gel implants.  There could be a tear in the capsule that surrounds the implant;  there could also be a collection of fluid felt in the breast at this time.  The fluid could be blood or serum in the surrounding areas to the implant if a significant injury had occurred to the breast.  Your Plastic Surgeon should be able to add some insight into the current status of the breast.  If the examination by the Surgeon still can't accurately answer the question about injury or not, you may have to resort to either waiting longer to see if the squishy feeling goes away with time, or you may be in a better position to have a mammogram or MRI performed.  Please be aware that the MRI is more accurate.


Good luck to you.  Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa




{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An MRI is the only way to determine a ruptured silicone implant. Trauma to the breast may cause a tear in the capsule or tissue around the breast implant resulting in bleeding or fluid accumulation. This may be detected by an ultrasound.  Seeing your surgeon for an examination is the first step.

Ruptured Implant?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

UH OH!  Sounds like you have a ruptured implant.  I would call your Plastic Surgeon and let him/her know what is going on.  You may need a mammogram, but a clinical exam may confirm the diagnosis without x-rays.

The bad news is you will need to have the implant replaced with another procedure.  The good news is if you have an Allergan or Mentor implant you have a warranty that will cover not only a new implant but the cost of the procedure too.  You should have no out of pocket expense to get the swap out procedure.  Don't hesitate, call today.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.