How to Get my Implants to Move?

I have had implants for 14 years. My implants have moved from underneath my breast to the top of my breast now. I have tried to move them back to underneath my breast but they want move. Now my breast look deformed because my implants stick out on top of my chest. What do I do?

Doctor Answers 15

Capsular contracture is 14 years probably best treated by surgery.

There different treatment strategies for capsular contracture which your description seems to suggest. Maybe time for new implants and possibly a different operative strategy based on your medical history.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Implant malposition v. capsular contracture

Hi, It's a little difficult to completely appreciate exactly what you are going through however it seems like you may be experiencing capsular contracture.  A visit to a board certified plastic surgeon is in order.  I followup with my breast implant patients every year or every other year to keep track of how the implant is doing and is the breast aging around the implant well.  Occasionally problems like this can be appreciated years before you have a complaint.  Best Wishes!!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Capsule contracture

It sounds like you have capsule contractures. if so you will not be able to get them to move lower. You will probably need surgery. Return to your Plastic surgeon or get a new consult. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Getting Breast Implants to Move 14 Years after Breast Augmentation?

At this point, 14 years after breast augmentation surgery, there is nothing that you can do to change the position of the breast implants. Best to be seen by board-certified plastic surgeons well-versed in revisionary breast surgery to  obtain good advice and  revisionary breast surgery options. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more.

 Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,502 reviews

Change in Shape of Implants over Time

It sounds like you have capsular contracture that can be corrected with revisional surgery. The surgery will require removal of the old implant, surrounding capsule, then replacement and repositioning of the new implant.  Now is a good time to make any desired changes in size, shape and type of implant if so desired.

Brian K. Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

When Implants Are Tight and High

Your description is typical for "Capsular Contracture"  This will cause the implants to become immobile or to rest too high on the chest and not move down even when you press on them.  Photos would be very helpful.  If this is the case, it could be associated with leaking silicone gel.  The treatment will require surgery to remove the capsule "Capsulectomy" and reposition the implants to the proper location.  New implants may also be needed.

Martin O`Toole, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Your implants moved up because they were at submuscular site/ tus implantes se movieron hacia arriba porque se colocaron submus

it is a classic  minor complication  when implants were located on submuscular plane, this has dissapeared since  many years ago  when we put the implants in a subfascial muscle plane

tu caso puede ser resuelto facilmente cambiandolos de lugar, sacandolos del plano submuscular y colocandolo en el plano subfascial

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

How to Get my Implants to Move?

As always with questions such as this one, photos would be helpful in constructing useful advice. 

It sounds like you have developed capsular contractures.  At 14 years, the usual non-operative remedies are unlikely to work. A visit to a plastic surgeon to discuss options is needed. All the best. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

How to Get my Implants to Move?

It sounds like you have capsular contractures and, if so, this isn't something you'll be able to do on your own.  You should see your surgeon or another board-certified surgeon to see what your options might be.  You will most likely need to undergo another surgical procedure in order to achieve a correction.


Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Capsular contracture after breast augmentation

What you describe, a riding up of your breast implants into the top of the breast, is typical of capsular contracture. As the capsule tightens the implant will round up and push up into the upper part of the breast and the breast proper might sag loose beneath. Revision and implant replacement might be a solution.

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.