Replacing PIPs, Will 325 Appear Much Smaller than 335cc? (photo)

I am PIP lady from the uk. After having a consultation within the NHS i am slightly worried what size i will end up. Ii am 5 ft 8 and weigh 10 stone (140 lb) ? My PIP are 335cc and my bra size is 34d. i have been offered a Mentor replacement of 325 cc. Even though i am so grateful that the NHS have stepped in to help. I really do not want to go any smaller. i dont have much say in this matter as the implant size has to be similar HELP i'm very worried :( thank you

Implant exchange

In order to properly size you for replacements, the dimension of your PIP implants should be determined and a comparable implant from another manufacturer can be obtained.

Implant exchange

Good luck to you! The NHS is paying for something that American insurance companies do not cover under any circumstances so that's good news for you. The difference between the implants is so minimal as to be undetectable.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Replacment of a 335 with a 325 is a good match

With a straightforward replacement you will not be able to detect a difference between the 335 and the 325. Our hats are off the NHS. It would never be covered in the US.

DIFFERENCE iN 325CC & 335 CC Minimal

The difference in 325cc and 335cc is approximatelt two teaspoons and I would be very surprised if you note the difference.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast Implant Size for Revisionary Surgery?

Thank you for the question and the picture; it's fun to see that boys will be boys no matter  what the country of  origin.

It will be important for you to discuss your goals  regarding the outcome of breast revisionary surgery with your plastic surgeon. Hopefully, he/she will have a range of breast implants available in the operating room.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Replacing PIP Implants

Hi, It is a good thing that you are replacing your PIP implants. They are not made of medical grade silicone and noone knows how that could affect your body. Mentor implants are FDA approved (US) and have a long history of safey, with very few complications. The size difference you mention is quite minimal. The most important thing is that the implants fit well on your chest wall. The measurement from your inner chest to your outer chest is called the "breast base diameter". By using an implant size that matches that diameter, and then choosing how much projection you desire, your perfect size can be determined. Good luck.

Karen Vaniver, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Increasing Breast Implant Size by Only 20 CC's

A small change in CC's may not be drastic enough to notice a significant size increase. Depending on the reason for the breast revision determines the sizing outcome. However, there are no guarantees with size predictions for revisions. Initially, if a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc. This is a general number, and of course there are other factors that will affect this. 

Other factors which contribute to the outcome are #size, #shape, and #profile.  The #profile is determined by the amount of #projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the #size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile. 
Another element to a satisfying result of your #augmentation is realistic #expectations.
#Shaped implants are all #textured and should not rotate when used properly. In my practice, about 20% of the patients benefit from shaped implants. Your Plastic Surgeon needs to measure you and determine the best shape and size of any implants that are used.

Little difference between similar sizes expected

Going from 335cc to 325 cc is 10 cc's . To put this in perspective 10 cc's is about a third of a shot glass and will not be noticeably smaller

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Replacing PIPs, Will 325 Appear Much Smaller than 335cc?

You need to be grateful in that the NHS is replacing the implants for you. As for a 10 cc difference, please do not focus upon this minor difference. I bet you want a 350 cc or larger but that you need to discuss with the NHS. Be happy you can obtain exchange.