Is it possible my implants are being rejected? I had a unilateral mastectomy and this is my 2nd set of implants.

I had a unilateral mastectomy and this is my second set of implants. I have such bad fibromyalgia that some days I can't get out of bed. The doctors have put me on Lyrica which helps a little but makes gain an enormous amount of weight. I didn't have this before my Breast Cancer. I didn't have chemo or radiation. I have silicone implants.

Option for implant removal and fat transfer

As mentioned earlier, the only way to really test the theory as to whether your implant is the cause of your fibromyalgia is to remove the implants. In my practice I have removed implants from numerous breast reconstruction patients for various reasons, replacing the implant(s) with fat transfer. This is an excellent approach for women who either have problems with their implants, or wants them removed for any reason. Particularly with unilateral reconstruction patients are unhappy as the reconstructed breast often looks and feels different from the natural breast. Fat transfer is a way to create a much more natural feeling breast that better matches the opposite side.

Implant rejection

It is very unlikely that your body is rejecting your implants. They are objects without antigens and would likely not cause these symptoms.

Rejection of implants

In 34 years of practice I have not seen someone reject the implants.It may be related to your medicine but I don't believe it is rejection.Another possibility is to use your own fat to create a breast.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and fibromyalgia

Breast implants are not commonly associated with fibromyalgia. Practically speaking, one of the only ways to determine the association is to perform an explantation and see if your symptoms resolve. This may or may not be a choice for you; but it is important to see a surgeon who gives you choices.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Body rejects implants

Unlikely that your body will reject the implants. Especially since you have not had radiation. You can have the reconstruction done using your own tissue. For instance in my practice in Tampa I take abdominal tissue that would be discarded in a tummy tuck and transplant them as your new breast. The procedure us called DIEP flap and it does not use your stomach muscles. It is covered by insurance as well. Breast reconstruction coverage by insurance is a federal mandate. The level of coverage is varies by insurance carrier and plan type.

Good luck