Should my Friend Have a Facelift and Rhinoplasty at the Same Time?

My friend saw a plastic surgeon and he is going to do several procedures on her at the same time involving 8 hours under general anesthesia. Is this advisable?

Having facelift and rhinoplasty at the same time

A facelift and rhinoplasty are certainly an acceptable combination to perform simultaneously.  An 8 hour anesthetic sounds quite lengthy.  In our office those 2 procedures would require a 4 hour anesthetic.  Some patients who undergo 8 hours of anesthesia may be required to spend the night in the hospital due to the hangover from that length of an anesthesia.  It is important to have your anesthesia performed by a board certified physician anesthesiologist.

Multiple procedures in plastic surgery...

This question can ultimately take a long time to answer.  The general rule of thumb is to keep outpatient procedures under six hours, but that number can change depending on the health of the patient.  A patient with a medical problem like asthma will be better served with a shorter procedure, while a patient in perfect health can certainly tolerate a procedure that is eight hours long.  The decision needs to be made by the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and patient together in the best interest of the patient.  In general, while the risk of anesthesia complications can rise after three hours, this increase is minimal in a healthy patient.  I have performed facelift and rhinoplasty together many times.  Be sure the facility you are using is accredited and/or Medicare certified.  Also, talk to the anesthesiologist about your concerns and make sure your surgeon is board certified. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Facelift are often combined together

In my practice I combine Rhinoplasty, Facelift, Blepharoplasty and other surgeries in conjunction with each other. This does not take me eight hours which seems like an extended amount of time for two procedures. The anesthesiologist will need to clear the patient for this procedure and time frame. The Facelift procedure would be done first if this goes smoothly and time is of no constraint then the surgeon may proceed with the Rhinoplasty. If for some reason the anesthesiologist wants to cut the case short then the patient may need to come back for Rhinoplasty at another time. As stated before and I am sure agreed upon by most surgeons on realself this is a very common practice to combine procedures and multiple procedures are done weekly at my office. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

I have performed Face Lifts and Rhinoplasty for 25 years and IMHO, 8 hours is too long for elective cosmetic surgery.  It sounds like a traditional Face Lift which can take 5-6 hours and a Rhinoplasty that typically takes an hour or 1 1/2 hours.  Your friend could consider a minimally invasive Face Lift That takes 90 minutes) or having the Rhinoplasty another day.  Plastic and cosmetic surgeons do things differently, so don't be surprised when you get a host of varying opinions.

Combining Rhinoplasty And Facelift

Dear Rita,

It is very common to combine a rhinoplasty and a facelift to be performed during the same "surgical session" and in less then 8 hours under the general anesthesia.

However, if the surgeon requires 8 hours to perform both surgeries then the patient will be at higher risks then usual and if the patient gives her/his consent to be anesthetized for 8 hours then it has to be done in a hospital's OR and possibly stay for an overnight observation.

All in all, I would advise your friend to be cautious deciding for an 8 hours surgery under general anesthesia.

Please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Combining Facelift Surgery

Yes. In fact, it is quite common to combine different procedures, as they can complement each other and improve the end result. Moreover, it can actually help reduce certain risk factors. The surgery may take longer to complete, but there are definite advantages to scheduling multiple procedures at once. For example, the patient will only have to go under general anesthesia once, thus minimizing the risk of complications related to anesthesia. The recovery time will ultimately shorter as the body will not have to go through the healing process on two separate occasions.

Combination Facelift and Rhinoplasty

It is fairly common for patients to opt in for a combined facelift and rhinoplasty procedure should both surgeries be of interest. Having both a facelift and nose job at the same time saves a patient from having to go through two separate recoveries, and gets to the desired outcome faster and more efficiently. Please always be sure to relate your full medical condition to your surgeon so as to better determine whether or not having a two-in-one procedure is a feasible option. As far as the length of the procedure, this amount depends on the extensiveness of the two surgeries and can also vary depending on your doctor. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Combined operative procedures

This is a very good question. It is not uncommon for our patients to undergo multiple procedures (facelift, rhinoplasty and blepharoplasty) in one operative setting. There are multiple benefits with regard to one recovery, time off from work and life activities, and overall costs. I advocate that anesthesia is performed by a board certified anesthesiologist to ensure the absolute best in these circumstances.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

What can reasonably be accomplished in one surgical procedure

There are a  lot of what ifs involved in the answer to this question.  Things to consider are the patients overall health and the estimated length of each individual procedure.  It is possible that both procedures could be  performed at the same time but this is up to her physician to determine.  If the facelift goes well and she is stable then it may be okay to do the rhinoplasty.   If she is unstable medically then it would be best to come  back another day

Undergoing a simultaneous facelift and rhinoplasty is safe as long as your friend is otherwise healthy. 8 hours is definitely on the long side of the time typically required to perform just a facelift and rhinoplasty. However, the time estimate is dependent upon exactly what procedures the surgeon is planning to perform. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS