My Eyes Look Asymmetrical and I'm 17 Can They Be Fixed? (photo)

Doctor Answers 6

Asymmetrical Upper Eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In short, your asymmetries can be improved. It appears, that your left brow is higher and the left eyelid is droopy - a condition called ptosis. Most likely, correction of your ptosis may be all that is necessary to improve symmetry. I would discuss with your parents (does this run in your family) and if they agree, you may consult with an experienced eyelid surgeon.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Left upper eyelid ptosis with frontalis compensation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your eyelid [and eyebrow] asymmetry is caused by a left upper eyelid ptosis. This has makes the eye appear droopy and also exposes more of the upper eyelid platform [tarsal show] which further accentuates the asymmetry.

I would recommend a consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastic surgeon. This very likely could be covered by insurance if visual field defect can be documented.

I have provided a link below for to find a surgeon close to you.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

My Eyes Look Asymmetrical and I'm 17 Can They Be Fixed? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It looks like you have left upper eyelid ptosis (drooping eyelid).  Your left eyebrow is elevated to compensate for the ptosis.  Ptosis surgery can be performed.  See an Oculoplastic surgeon.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis and strabismus

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

you appear to have a little bit of ptosis and some strabismus possibly in the left side. You want to go see a good reconstructive Oculoplastic surgeon and get several consults before proceeding with any surgical intervention. A traditional upper eyelid blepharoplasty will not improve this. Will most likely need a ptosis repair with levator advancement and possible strabismus surgery. I would not go to general plastic surgeon for either of these. You want to see a good facial plastic surgeon or Oculoplastic surgeon.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Congenital Ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the great question. Yes, this can be fixed. Generally, a ptosis repair is indicated -- in your case, for the left eye. This can be performed from inside the eyelid or through a blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) incision. Deciding on the best approach for you would require an examination to look at the eyelid and brow movement, skin laxity, etc.  Best of luck moving forward!

My Eyes Look Asymmetric and I'm 17 Can They Be Fixed?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

    Left eyelid ptosis and left brow compensation can be improved with correction of the ptosis.




Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.