My Eyes Have Aged Drastically. Please Help? (photo)

Over a year ago, I had a toxic response which aged my eyes badly. I want to know what happened to my eyes in terms of aging (sagging, sunken in, etc.) and how I can get them to look like the before photo again. Also, is it possible that so much fluid could have been depleted from my eyes, making them look different? Thank you!

Doctor Answers 7

Eyelid Aging

   A physical exam in animation and relaxation to assess brow and eyelid excursion would be necessary to sort this issue out.  I must say that I would be hardpressed to recommend surgery at this time, but an exam is necessary to confirm.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

You are exhibiting subtle upper eyelid ptosis.

Hi Samantha

What your photos show may or may not be related to the event you attribute it to.  Sometimes we just associate things in our mind.  Be that as it may, the before photos show a slight degree of right upper eyelid ptosis.  In the after photo, there is subtle ptosis on both sides that is slightly more now on the left.  In addition, you have a compensatory elevation of the eyebrows which is lifting the upper eyelids folds making this area look somewhat depleted compared to the before photos.  Generally I address this type of change with a procedure I call a micro-belpharoplasty.  Essentially the tendons in the eyelids are strengthened to appropriately lift the eyelids, a small amount of skin is removed just under the eyelid crease and support is provided for the eyelashes which also tend to fall and shade the eye in these situations.  Generally after such a procedure, the brows relax back down.  Hope this information helps.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

No Idea What To Do About Your Aging Eyes

Your question and the ensuing answers make some great points. You show photos and talk about how bad you look in fairly general terms, Clearly you are very unhappy with the way things look and feel that it is as obvious to every one else. You have 4 responses from 4 very well respected surgeons, all of whom are having difficulty seeing what it is that is bothering you so much, and because of this have all recommended somewhat different treatments. I see this all of the time in my practice- people who have had surgery elsewhere, are very unhappy with their results, and when you talk to them about why they are unhappy, it turns out that the problem was that the previous surgeon did the wrong operation. The patient said "I'm unhappy with my eyes". The surgeon saw too much upper lid skin and said "we can fix that". The patient then wakes up from her procedure with younger looking upper eyelids and says "how come my crows feet are still there?". Here is what you need to do. Make appointments with several board certified surgeons (general plastic, facial plastic, or oculoplastic surgeons) in your area and tell them specifically what it is that is bothering you. Then you will be able to make the right decision for yourself. (By the way- when I looked at your photos I thought you were talking about the hollowness in the lower lids and would have recommended that filler be injected. None of the other docs even noticed this, and may not be at all what bothers you. It seems I just made my own point). Best of luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelid aging

As one ages, they lose fat from the face and around the eyes, which is what has happened in your upper eyelids.  You also have mild upper eyelid ptosis (Droopy).  There are various surgical and surgical options for the problems above.  See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

How to correct discoloration of the lower eyelids.

It is hard to determine from your photograph how your eyes have changed and I do not understand the toxic reaction that you had and how it relates specifically to your eye area.  It is possible that you have experienced some darkening of the peri-orbital tissues and this has created a change in your appearance.  Without a physical examination it is hard to give your a specific recommendation but you may want to consider a camouflage type treatment such as Teamine, this product helps to diffuse the darkness under the eyes.   

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Eyelid aging

I would not categorize your photos as showing drastic aging. It would be beneficial to know precisely what caused the "toxic reaction". The first step would probably be Botox and this is a simple, nonsurgical, inexpensive treatment.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Aging eyes.

The photos are limited as the lower lids and cheek junctions are hidden. There does appear to be a little excess skin on the left upper lid and mild brow ptosis or descent. 

I would suggest a trial of Botox or Dysport or similar neuromodulator to weaken the muscles between the eyes and around the crow's feet that tend to pull the brow down. This may be enough to help "open" the eyes for a while longer. Meeting with a qualified surgeon who has all options (surgical and non-surgical) to personally discuss your concerns.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.