What is my Ear Deformity Called? (photo)

I have had a unilateral ear deformity since I was born. One ear is normal, and the other is smaller, deformed with a smaller ear canal that means I'm partially deaf in that ear. People keep on noticing that my ears aren't level and ask me whats wrong with it, and I would like surgery in the future because it's so embarrassing. The problem is, I have no idea. I have done lots of research but no deformities seem to fit my ear! Does anyone know what this is called?

Doctor Answers 3


You have a mild, grade 1 microtia or small ear (it sounds like you may also have atresia of your canal which affects your hearing).  Our office works with many patients with microtia.  In severe cases, the ear may be only a small remnant.  In such cases, total reconstruction is possible with a porous polyethylene implant or rib.  It is difficult to tell from your photos, the true extent of the size difference and asymmetry between your ears.  Consult with an experienced microtia surgeon to assess your options.  

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Undeveloped earlobe

You have undeveloped earlobe.

Maybe a smaller ear also. See a plastic surgeon to discuss all forms of reconstructing an earlobe

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

The medical term for your small ear is Microtia.

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

The vertical height of your left ear is certainly less than your right, and your left ear lobe is a bit pointy. The good news is that people rarely view your face such that both ears are visible. So your smaller ear may be an eyesore for you, but it's probably less obvious to others than you think.

An easy improvement may be to move the piercing forward in your smaller ear so it would lie more symmetrical with the lower piercing in your larger ear.

I am not aware of any surgical options to enlarge your left ear.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 418 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.