Can my Droopy Eye Be Fixed Without Surgery? (photo)

I really hope there is another solution for my droopy eye. I am getting married next April and as you can see from the photo, my left eye droops. Its not as bad durning the day but at night and in photos its very obvious and doesnt make me look of feel very good. If there was ANY other treatment possible, id rather than than have to have surgery.

Doctor Answers 7


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several reasons for ptotic eye lids, but intervention may need to be surgical.  April 2013 wedding should be carefully planned around your condition.  Please see a Cosmetic Facial Surgeon who can diagnose your condition and help your situation (sooner than later).

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Can my Droopy Eye Be Fixed Without Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Botox can temporarily elevate the brow to give the appearance you desire when injected correctly...this is a temporary fix until you decide that you would like to pursue a surgical option, such as a unilateral upper lid blepharoplasty.

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Can my Droopy Eye Be Fixed Without Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes it can be improved but only with surgery. But you first should seek a diagnosis for the  issue. Seek a work up to determine the cause. 

Eyelid ptosis (droopy)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You do have left upper eyelid ptosis.  The best treatment option is surgery.  Botox can be used to temporary lift the upper eyelid but it is temporary and unpredictable and may cause unwanted worsening of the ptosis!  The surgery can be done under local anesthesia with relatively quick recovery, which is what I would recommend.  You have plenty of time till April.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

I Agree With My Colleagues.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately you have only two options: Surgery or photoshop.  You have left upper eyelid ptosis.  The amount of ptosis is small.  With a Wedding in April you have time to have surgery to repair this but you need to find the right surgeon.  I agree that you should see only a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  However it is important to understand that you are looking for a highly experienced individual who can offer you a reliable surgery for this small degree of ptosis.  

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Most likely surgery is needed to fix a droopy eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

     You have ptosis (drooping) of your left upper eyelid.  Most likely this is due to a problem with the muscle that elevates your eyelid.   Very rarely this can be caused by a neurologic problem.

     My suggestion is that you see an ophthalmic plastic surgeon to rule out the rare neurologic problems that can cause ptosis and then consider having a surgical procedure to correct the problem.

     Sorry but there is no good non-surgical way to help the common type of ptosis..

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Droopy Eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have weakness of the muscle that lifts the eyelid.  You should see an oculoplastic surgeon to rule out an underlying cause (although underlying causes are rare).  You can find a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at their website, www(dot)


This condition is usually fixed with surgery.  If you are looking to correct it for the day of your wedding only, an oculoplastic surgeon may be able to prescribe an eyedrop that you can use to elevate the lid for the day.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.