My Dr. Wants to Use Radiesse in the Cheeks to Help my Tear Troughs (Racoon Eyes). Will That Work?

dr. said 2 or 3 shots in cheek area would help the trroughs between my lower lids and cheeks. they seem to be more pronounced after having a lower bleph. done 7 mo's ago. will that help that area? how long will it last? the right eye more red and worse than left. is there anything else i can do for tear troughs after bleph? what are my options? i have recent pics under "is radiesse ok to use after lower bleph....?"

Doctor Answers 8

My Dr. Wants to Use Radiesse in the Cheeks to Help my Tear Troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is a thick filler based product that would be used great for volumnizing and contouring the cheeks. As far as tear troughs, I suggest applying Restylane to give you a smoother natural look. Without a photo provided, I advise you to get an examination by a reputable board certified physician who can provide a lasting result you wish to achieve.

Best regards 

"Raccoon Eyes" Can Be Treated Effectively By Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, surgical blepharoplasty may leave the areas around the eyes more hollow, especially if excessive fat was also removed during the procedure. Today, we know that many of the problems seen in the aging face, including those around the eye (especially the lower lid area) result from the LOSS OF VOLUME and not laxity (loosenes) of skin. The "looseness" seen can be likened to a balloon that has lost its air and becomes saggy and baggy. To smooth the balloon all we need do is reinflate it, i.e. give it back the volume it lost, in order to smooth it out. Thus, by analogy, it now understandable why the removal of supposedly "excess" skin and fat surgically may actually result in a worsening of the appearance of areas that really need volume replacement.

Consider the example of a favorite arm chair that has lost its tufting. Would anyone expect the upholsterer to merely pull the remaining fabric over the frame of the chair so that we end up sitting directly over the frame of the chair. Naturally, we would expect the volume of the chair, i.e. its original content of stuffing to be restored. The same applies to treating many areas of the face today. We must restore volume with volumizing fillers, rather than merely stretch or pull surgically. 

Sometimes we need to build up the mid-facial cheek in order to bolster the tear trough area before actually addressing the tear trough itself. This can be achieved with volumizing fillers, such as Juvederm UltraPlus XC or Radiesse or a combination of both.

Other times we need to concentrate more on the tear trough itself, particularly when "raccoon eyes" are the main concern. Here, I have found that the use of Juvederm Ultra XC mixed with a very tiny amount of Radiesse (which has a whitish color) can improve not only the contour of the sunken area of the tear trough, but lighten the troubling darkness of the "panda" or "raccoon" eyes. Naturally, you should seek out only injectors experienced in advanced facial recontouring techniques.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Please don't get radiesse in the tear trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is a great product but there are places where it is inappropriate such as the tear troughs and in the lips. Radiesse in the cheeks is fine.

Placing Radiesse in areas of thin skin can result in potential palpability and visibility.

mike kim, md

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Cheek and Tear Troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have lots of options to achieve the results you desire. However, I would not use Radiesse for tear trough augmentation. This is a thick filler and not the place for which it is best suited. It is wonderful to achieve volumization through mid face augmentation as well as work for your nasolabial and melolabial folds. It is also excellent to define and augment your jaw line. My filler of choice to augment the tear troughs is restylane. It has the best flow characteristics and thickness. 

Jeffrey Fromowitz, MD, FAAD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

My Dr. Wants to Use Radiesse in the Cheeks to Help my Tear Troughs (Racoon Eyes). Will That Work?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 No, IMHO Radiesse is too thick of a filler, as is Perlane, to be used in the tear trough or lower eyelid.  Best to use thinner fillers like Restylane or Juvederm.  I use Perlane for Cheek Augmentation and Radiesse for Jaw line enhancements.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Best Filler for Tear Troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my opinion the best filler for your tear troughs would be Restylane.  Radiesse should not be used in this area at all.  However, Radiesse is an excellent choice to give volume to the cheek area.  An experienced injector should be well aware of the best fillers to use in different areas.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Best Filler Options for Tear Trough Hollows After Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Gina,

The only filler that should be used in the lower eyelid hollow area is Restylane.  If Radiesse is used too close to the thin and unforgiving lower eyelid skin there is too high of a possibility of long lasting lumps and bumps that cannot be dissolved.  Radiesse can be used in the cheeks, but avoid it under your eyelids.  Most importantly, choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.  Best,

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Tear trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without pictures it is difficult to advise. Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery), and get another opinion.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.