Why has my doctor made me wait 9 ms for nipples after Breast Reconstruction?

She has no pictures to show me, never has for my 8 surgeries in 3 yrs.

Breast Reconstruction - Nipple Reconstruction

Thank you for your question. Surgeons like to wait until the implant or flap has fully settled into position before choosing the optimal location for the nipple. 

Nipple reconstruction after breast reconstruction

I am unaware of why you would wait 9 months.  Once size, shape and symmetry are reached then nipple reconstruction can her performed with your own tissue or 3D tattoo.

Waiting for Nipple Reconstruction

I do not see much more information here to be able to really help you. Being that said there are lots of reasons that a surgeon may want to wait. Maybe the implants need to settle a little more. It is possible that your skin quality at this time is not good enough. It could be many things, but this is pretty easy, just ask your surgeon and they will tell you why.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Can not give you good answer without more information or pictures

Please send pictures and more information on you previous surgeries. The term breast reconstruction is not specific to kind of reconstruction( implant, free flap, rotational flap).

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Without knowing much of your history or your postoperative course, it is difficult to give you an answer.  Regardless, once shape has been achieved and the swelling/settling of the implants has occurred, it is a reasonable time to perform the nipple reconstruction...given that your incisions are all healed.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD