My Daughter Has Facial Scars from Accidents a Year Ago, What Would be the Best Treatment for Her? (photo)

My daughter has facial scars from accidents a year ago. She is only 8 years old, but being a girl, with her self-conscious years ahead, I thought she should have some laser treatments to help the appearance of the scars. The scars are raised, and have a shiny surface. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 3

Staged Scar revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Scar revisions might be done once the child gets a bit older. Raised wide scars like these should respond well. Save your money on the lasers. :)


Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD


Orange Plastic Surgeon

Hypertrophic scars of the chin and face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend a surgical scar revision to remove the old scar and put the scar along the relaxed or normal skin lines of the chin region. This should be followed by kenalog or steroid injections and vascular laser treatments so that the scar does not recur. I would also treat the scar area with Botox to minimize movement of the chin that would result in a better cosmetic result. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Correcting Ugly Chin Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your daughter has a very hypertrophic scar of the chin. At one year after injury and Reid you are pretty much looking at the final result. At ths point neither laser or steroid injections woud result in a narrow scar. At most, she may get a flatter but wide scar. In my opinion, she may benefit from removal of the scar and starting anew. Ths time taking care to avoid all tension on the skin edges, use silicone sheeting  immediately after surgery and use corticosteroid injections as soon as scar hype trophy  becomes apparent.  

Good luck.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.