My Childhood Friend Just Turned 67 Years Old She is Having a Hernia Repaired and Wants an Abdominoplasty Done at the Same Time?

She is overweight and will probably not loose any weight before the surgery. Is it safe and advisable at this age and with her weight (240 lbs.) to have both procedures done?

67 Years Old and Wants an Abdominoplasty

Your friend's age itself is not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery; I would be concerned about her weight. 

Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.    When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be her next/best step.  Best wishes.

Tummy tuck and hernia

You don't say what type of hernia it is, although we fix hernias at the same time as abdominoplasty quite commonly. The problem in this case is a combination of age and obesity. These factors greatly increase the risk of complications with the surgery, in particular blood clots in the leg veins. Each case is decided on its own merits as well as both the surgeon's and patient's awareness of the risks involved along with an in depth exam and evaluation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Simultaneous Tummy Tuck and Ventral Hernia Repair

At ROX Hernia Center, we commonly perform simultaneous tummy tuck and ventral hernia repair. However, patients who have this procedure must be good candidates. Age alone is not a contraindication for either procedure. Either, or both, procedures can be performed in a 67 year old safely, if the patient is in good health all around and is not significantly overweight. Achieving the right weight pre-operatively will significantly improve the patients results for both procedures.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Hernia and obesity

If healthy, her age is not the determining factor in having an abdominoplasty at the same as hernia repair. What is however is her weight. At 240lb, I would recommend not doing an abdominoplasty. Her potential complication rate would be quite high.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with hernia repair in an overweight patient

Hernia repairs are generally done at the same time as abdominoplasty surgeries.

Patients should ideally lose weight before doing a tummy tuck if they have very high BMI's.  It makes the procedure much safer and the results better.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Abdominoplasty Is Not Recommended For An Overweight Person

Most Plastic Surgeons will not perform an abdominoplasty on an overweight person.  This is too dangerous.  Your friend needs to lose weight prior to surgery.  There are many weight loss programs like Weight Watchers that has helped a lot of patients.  Have her consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation, and to get the information needed to make an informed decision.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD