Is my Chest Really Swollen? It Does Not Hurt nor Has It Bruised a Lot. Gynecomastia? (photo)

Hello, Exactly 7 days go, I went and got a male breast reduction. I believe; I had real gynecomastia because a lot of the gland was removed. I might have been really drugged up but when I looked at my chest after the procedure it was really flat. Now 7 days in, my left ches has gone done including shrinking of the areola, but my right breast is still looking like a boob. The doctor said he did remove more fat and gland on that side, so there was more trauma. Will my right breast actually go down?

Swollen chest after gynecomastia excision

Thank you for the question and the photo. After any large gynecomastia resection thereis swelling. The swelling is maximal in the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. It is not uncommon that one side swells more than the other. And sometimes take longer to resolve. However, i think you should still communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Hello

You are still swollen; it takes 6-9 months for the swelling to completely subside. You should be wearing a compression vest to help with the swelling. You need to make sure you follow your PS advice.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Is my Chest Really Swollen? It Does Not Hurt nor Has It Bruised a Lot. Gynecomastia?

The concern here is a hematoma. Did you have a drain after surgery? Best to see your surgeon weekly or more if needed for close follow up. 

Gynecomastis and swelling

Thanks for the photos.  It looks like you had significant amount of tissue removed and it is quite possible that you ahe more swelling on one side. It is best to be seen by your surgeon to make sure everything is OK.

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling post Gynecomastia

Swelling in the first 2 weeks is quite significant, and it is not unusual that one side is healing faster than the other. Continue to consult with your surgeon as he understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

S/p Gynecomastia

You look good after the surgery.The concern would be a hematoma on the right side.I would communicate this to your surgeon.Small hematomas resolve on their own while larger accumulations usually require drainage.

1 Week after Male Breast Reduction

Any asymmetry after male breast reduction should be evaluated for fluid collection, either seroma or hematoma.   Most of the time one side does swell more than the other.  Compression garments should be worn as instructed.  It will take many weeks to realize your final results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD male breast reduction Los Angeles, CA

Is my Chest Really Swollen

There is obvious improvement in the photos posted, and though it is hard to tell on these views, the right side does look a bit larger. This is not at all uncommon--swelling that is asymmetric. The fact that these looked even early on is a good sign that they will look even after the swelling is gone.

Fluid collection (blood or serum) is a possible cause, so do stay in close contact with your surgeon. All the best. 

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery.

You are very early in your post operative recovery.  There will be some swelling, especially if he/she did more work on that side.  Other things that may be a problem include hematoma or seroma.  Best to contact your plastic surgeon and let him/her know what is going on.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS