What are my chances of getting a breast reduction?

Hello, I'm 16 years old and I have been wanting a breast reduction for 2 years now. I've had large breasts since I was 13. I was a 32DDD in 7th grade and now in 10th grade I am a 32G. I am not overweight and I'm not tall. I am 5 ft 2 and 130lbs with 32G breasts which sag.I've worn the Same size for around a year now. I have back, shoulder, and neck pain, Shoulder grooving, difficulty breathing and my breast skin has been peeling for about a year underneath. Will medi-cal/iehp possibly cover it?

Breeast reduction

Medi-Cal does cover breast reductions in appropriate cases, but you may have a hard time finding a plastic surgeon who will accept medi-cal.  You need the consent of your parents anyway and ask them to call around in your area to find out which plastic surgeon takes medi-cal.  Although I hove no problem performing breast reduction in a girl your age, insurance companies may want you to wait until you are older.

In most cases, breast reduction isn't performed until a woman's breasts are fully developed. However it can be done earlier if large breasts are causing serious physical discomfort.  OHIP will cover the breast reduction portion of the procedure providing a patient qualifies.  For our patients, an application for coverage is sent to OHIP by our office at no charge to the patient.  Often liposuction is performed at the same time to further reduce and refine the breast but this is non-insured.  Be sure to seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does numerous breast reductions per year to be assessed and be advised of your surgical options.

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and (probable) psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.
Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

Yes you are a candidate for breast reduction.

From your description it sounds like you are a candidate for a breast reduction. As stated above, the reason to wait till your breasts have completed growing is that if you have a reduction at too young of an age, you may still require a second reduction in a few years.

You would benefit greatly from a breast reduction, but absolutely do not have the procedure until you are sure your breast size has remained unchanged for a minimum of one year.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question. Based on your description it sounds like you would be a candidate for a breast reduction. I would set up a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and get their opinion. If your plastic surgeon works with your insurance and can document the problems that you are experiencing as the result of your large breasts  then the insurance may cover it. Good Luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon