My Breasts Are Small Compared to All the Other Women in my Family and my Nipples Have Not Developed. Is Something Wrong? (photo)

My breasts are small but I can at least tell they are there but my nipples haven't developed. I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months and we haven't been very intimate because I'm insecure about my breast. My nipples haven't ever been there and I keep hoping they'll just pop up someday. I'm worried that if I go to a doctor ill find out I have cancer. What should I do?

Inverted Nipples and Hypomastia

The inverted nipples and small breasts can be corrected with breast augmentation with implants and possibly a formal nipple inversion correction procedure.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Nipples

You have inverted nipples which are very common. I have seen these corrected purely by augmentation in smaller breasts. They can be surgically corrected.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

My Breasts Are Small Compared to All the Other Women in my Family and my Nipples Have Not Developed. Is Something Wrong?

You have 2 issues. Hypoplasia of the breasts as a anatomic/genetic issue. This is corrected by implantation. The second issue is severe inverted nipples, which can also be corrected by surgery. 

Inverted Nipples

Hello Mandy,

Thank you for sharing your photos as well as you concerns.

Based on the photos, you exhibit a common condition called "nipple inversion" that could be corrected surgically.

As a treatment, manually eversion and massaging of the nipple may be an option. However, if the inversion is severe then surgery is the way to go.

As for the size of your implants, I believe that you could benefit from an augmentation if you feel you would like to have larger breasts.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Correction of a inverted nipple

Actually your breast is normally developed, and the issue is not an undeveloped nipple, but an inverted one. The condition is fairly common and may affect one or both breasts. If you are able to evert the nipple then pulling and massage alone might stretch the ducts and correct the inversion. For others surgery to release the nipple can evert it.

Inverted Nipple Treatment?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your pictures,  it is clear that you are describing inverted nipples.  Otherwise, your breasts appear to be normally developed.

Inverted nipples can cause functional problems for women and emotional concerns. An inverted nipple can look flat or a slit like depression or hole at the normal nipple location. There are different degrees of inverted nipples possible. Whether a patient is a candidate for correction of inverted nipples  depends on the  extent of the problem.

Usually correction of the inverted nipples involve division  of the lactiferous (milk ducts). The risks  of the procedure include potential loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, recurrence of the asymmetry and the potential need for further surgery.
My advice to patients go something like this...  If the nipple is permanently inverted and does not evert  with stimulation, then it is a useless nipple  when it comes to sensitivity and/or breast-feeding. In these  cases correction of inversion is indicated (because the potential gains outweigh the risks outlined above). 

On the other hand, if the nipple does evert  spontaneously with  or without stimulation,  then I am more reluctant to perform the procedure given that the risks may outweigh the potential benefits.  At that point, the decision is the patient's to make after careful consideration.
I hope this (and the attached link) helps.

Breast Augmentation and Correction of Inverted Nipples

Your nipples are inverted. They can be corrected so that they protrude all of the time. This procedure is easily performed. You could correct the nipples at the same time as a breast augmentation to improve the size and shape of your breast as well.

Inverted nipples and small breasts

Inverted nipples is fairly common and a treatable condition.  As for you breast size, you may desire implants.  Sometimes if the inverted nipple is only mildly retracted, an implant may improve its appearance.

Inverted nipples

you have inverted nipples, a pretty common condition that is easily treated by your prefer board certified plastic surgeon. 

Nipples are pulled in. Is something wrong?

From the photos it appears that yopu have "inverted nipples" meaning that the nipples are pulled in. This is not an uncommon condition and would be unlikely to be caused by cancer in your scenario. The correction can be performed under local anesthesia.I suggest that you consult with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD