Are my Breasts Considered Tuberous? (photo)

I have always been very embarrassed to show my breasts, and because of this I have not been involved with anybody for nine years. I am 29 years old and my breasts have looked this way since I've been a teen. There is significant space between them with no crease, one is smaller, and they appear cone shaped. Also, I've never had children. I have recently read about tuberous breasts and I am wondering if I have them. I have included a front view and side of my breasts.

The not so tuberous breast

We get so many so these questions and even I find the variety of answers interesting. Bottom line is you do not have a tubreous breast shape. The tuberous (root like) description indicates a breast which has a constricted skin envelope which is tight around the areola causing the areola and nipple to herniate forward, kind of mushroom out. There are degrees of course and your breast is tight across the breast fold, but not tuberous. If you have a smile and warm heart anyone would love you the way you are. A moderate breast implant can fill out and round out your breast though so see a well established surgeon if you feel a 'new' you will set you free of embarrasment.

You should NOT be embarrassed, you are unique and special.  However, if the appearance of your breasts is "holding you back," and you want to improve the shape and/or size of your breasts, DO IT !  Although you have tuberous features such as a narrow breast base, high and "tight" inframammary creases, and perhaps large soft areolae relative to the small breast base, these are ALL subject to dramatic improvement by well planned and skillfully executed aesthetic breast surgery.  

Steve Laverson, MD

Are my breasts considered tuberous? (photo)

Hello! Thank you for your question and photos!   Given your photos, it does appear that you have a mild tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  You could likely get great results with an implant and breast lift.

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Best technique for asymmetrical tuberous breasts is Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

You state you are embarrassed by your breasts because of the space between them, one is smaller than the other and the cone shaped appearance.  Whether they are tuberous or not really does not matter.  The goal of surgery is to create beautiful breasts.  You have to decide one thing, whether you want your breasts bigger or not.  Since they are asymmetrical you will need the smaller one augmented to match the other side.  However, if you want both of the breasts larger then you will need bilateral implants.  There is a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast lift. This technique is done through a circumareola incision which can adjust the size of the areola.  Breast tissue is lifted creating upper pole fullness and displacement medial to increase cleavage.  Implants will make the result look even more attractive, if you desire.  Beautiful breasts are symmetry, breast high on the chest wall, adequate volume, areola centered and adequate cleavage.  You are an excellent candidate for this new technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

Your breasts are very slightly tuberous. In your case, I would recommend a standard breast augmentation.  It will make them appear less tuberous and should improve your self esteem considerably.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Variations of tuberous breast shapes and breast augmentation

Because there are variations in the severity of tuberous breasts, from your photos, some plastic surgeons would consider your breasts to be tuberous and others may not.  I believe you have mildly tuberous breasts.  Whether you breasts are tuberous or not, if you fell they make you self conscious, it is perfectly reasonable to consider a breast augmentation with a possible donut breast lift to reduce the loose skin around the areolas.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Are my Breasts Considered Tuberous?

The posted photos demonstrate minor tuberous deformity with hypoplasia and asymmetry. Seek ONLY in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. 

Yes your breasts are considered tuberous. The inferior fold or crease of the breast is what i call "high and tight" and the breast tissue is herniating into large areolas. This type of breast is quite common, at least in my practice. Breast implants definitely improve the situation dramatically but it is not a easy fix and should be done by an experienced surgeon. 

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

Breast Implants for Tuberous breast

It is a pity that you have been so self-conscious for over 9 years - you have very mild tuberous breasts which are under-developed.  You could have a very nice result with tear drop implants (I use Silimed PURE Implants) to give you a natural shape and more balanced size.  Speak to your Plastic Surgeon about your options.  Good luck

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

The the attached photos are a good example of a constricted or mild tuberous breast.  This deformity can be corrected with the placement of breast implants and often have a huge positive impact on a woman's self-esteem and confidence.  Unfortunatly many women are not aware that this can be treated.  I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon