Will my Breasts Be Bigger After Settling?

I am 6 days post op from removal of PIP 335 Ultra high round implant replaced with 495 High Projection, Full height anatomical. My doctor is amazing but I wished to go up a size from D to DD. I have more top fullness & cleavage but seem to be the same size as before which seems strange given the difference in implant size. Will my breasts change in future weeks.

Breasts Larger after they “Settle”?

Yes, I think that you will find that your breasts will change in the upcoming weeks/months. I also think that you may find that the breasts will appear larger after the breast implants have “settled”. This is a phenomenon that I see on a daily basis in my practice.

If you stand in front of a full-length mirror and placed your hand on the top of your breasts,  applying pressure downward on the breast implant,  you will see the effect on breast size as the breast implant settles with time.  Compare the  breast you are “massaging” to the other side.

Do breasts look the same after dropping?

Two things happen and seem paradoxical. As as the swelling goes down there will be some shrinkage but at the same time as the muscle relaxes your breast projection grows. In general the breast shape and size proportionality improves..

Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Breast size after removal and replacement

You are very early in your post operative course.  Your breasts will settle over time.  They usually do not pick up extra volume, but the shape may change.  Please do tell your plastic surgeon your concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Breast size aft implant settling

It is unlikely, your breasts will appear larger once your implants settle. As the settle, you may have more fullness to the mound, but less fullness in the upper pole. Your change in implants of 160 cc in volume is only abut 3/4 cup size in volume increase, but this does not mean your bra will change by 3/4 cup size. If you wear Victoria Secret bras, then you will likely wear a larger cup size than if you wear another brand, since Victoria Secret tend to run smaller than other brands.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size After Implant Exchange

Unfortunately time and healing will not make your breasts look bigger. If anything, they may look a little smaller as upper pole fullness decreases as the implant settles and the swelling resolves. In theory, a 160cc volume change from your prior implants would have seemed to be enough to make your breasts visibly larger. But surprisingly, it can often take more than a 30% to 40% volume change to make a real noticeable change in your breast size.

Breast Implants

Congratulations on having successful, uneventful breast augmentation. Depending on how much breast tissue there is to begin with, breast implants of various sizes may not be noticed or appreciated when under that muscle and breast tissue. So it is possible that you just cannot truly appreciate the clear difference in size. Your breast size, unfortnately it seems, will not change with time. If considering further surgery, however, remember that each surgery carries with it it's own risk factors. Unnecessary surgery should be avoided. Hope this helps.

Breast will not get bigger with settling

Unfortunately the breast will not get bigger as the implants settle in, and as the top fullness resolves some might even feel the breast is smaller. Remember that it takes at least 150 to 200cc just to see a visible difference in an implant, and we hope the 495 was enough.