Should my breast implants be removed because they are 32 yrs old and my skin is so thin they might break through the skin?

I am 68 and have 32 year old silicone implants. A recent mammo revealed free silicone in both breasts. I have had no symptoms or changes. A plastic surgeon is more concerned about the implants pushing through my skin because my skin is so thin. He recommended removal/replacement with mastopexy. Can I wait to see if I have a problem before removing them, due to possible risks, costs, and other health problems?

32-year-old silicon gel implants with rupture should be removed

Thank you for your question. Silicon gel implants that are 32 years old and ruptured should be removed, especially if your plastic surgeon is concerned about various risks.

Old silicone implants with known leak

If you know your silicone breast implants have a leak, you should have them removed and possibly replaced. I personally would recommend removal and approximately a 6-8 week break to make sure you thin skin has time to recover. Then once you have healed you can comfortably make the decision that is right for you regarding reinsertion and mastopexy. Best Wishes!!

Ruptured Implants

Generally speaking it is recommende to remove ruptured implants. That said on also has to take into account health issues and finances if no insurance to cover. Your implants have probably been ruptured for years and if there are more pressing health issues or finance issues I would not worry about delaying (or Never) removing them.

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Silicone

It is advisable to have these ruptured implants removed. In my experience, nearly everyone who comes to me for a concern about a 32 year old implant has a rupture or impending rupture. The problems are not life threatening but can cause severe local problems if not addressed surgically.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Should I Remove My Implants?

Thank you for your question! I would suggest you remove your implants if you have found a rupture.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon who preforms these routinely.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Remove them!

I would definitely recommend removing 32 year old breast implantds especially before they push through the skin.

Ruptured silicone implants

Ruptured silicone implants should be replaced. The free silicone can migrate and cause deformity. I have never seen the skin rupture due to a leaky implant. The longer you wait, the higher chance you will end up with deformed breasts.

Breast Implants

It is recommended that ruptured implants of any kind be removed to prevent any unforseen medical issues, that being said it is your body

Ruptured implants

If you have ruptured silicone implants then you should have them removed and either replaced or left out.