Once my Breast Implants Drop Will my Breast Be Fuller at the Bottom of the Breast?

Expectations of implant settling

Implants "drop" or settle through 6-8 weeks and even up to 3 months depending on implant size, profile and skin/tissue quality. Part of the drop is the skin on the bottom of the breast actually stretching or expanding, and part is the resolution of pec swelling/edema resolving when the implant is placed under the muscle. These two things generally give the appearance of the volume "dropping" in behind the nipple, and the shape of the breast improving with a more rounded or fuller bottom of the breast and a sloping superior pole with more conservative implant sizes/profiles, or slightly less of a shelf with large high profile impants.

As breast implants settle

the volume that was protruding in the upper pole will be transferred to your lower pole and give you more fullness below the nipple.  So the answer is YES.

Curtis Wong, MD

Settling Implants After Braest Augmentation

It can take some time (weeks to months) for the tissues around the implants to loosen up and the implants to "settle" into their final position.  Once this happens, the upper fullness will decrease and the lower portions will appear more full.  This all depends on the size of the implants, the amount of tissue you have and how tight the tissues are after the surgery.  Gentle massage can help.

Breast implant dropping

Without a picture of timeline I cannot comment on your specific situation.  In general as breast implants drop they tend to round out the bottom.  Good luck.

Short answer: Yes!

Depending on the technique your plastic surgeon used –subglandular, subpectoral, subfascial-, the type of implant used –Silicon, saline, polyurethane, smooth of textured-, and the tightness of your breast tissue before the surgery, the implants will “drop” and give you a fuller lower pole between 6 weeks and several months. In some cases, an elastic band is used to “push” the implants down faster.

Breast Implant Settling and Appearance of Breasts?

Generally speaking, as breast implants “settle”, breasts do seem “fuller at the bottom”.  Many patients report that, as this “drop and fluff” phenomenon occurs over the course of the first several months after breast augmentation surgery, the breasts actually look larger with time.

For more specific advice, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource.

Dropping usually leads to fullness

Typically when the implants settle, the breasts appear fuller on the bottom.  This is because a) the proportions of the breast change as the volume redistributes, and b) there will be less compressive force from the pectoralis muscles on top to flatten the implants.  Just be patient, the process takes about 3 - 4 months to fully complete.  Massage and implant displacement exercises often help, and your surgeon can guide you in this,  Good luck.

That is the usual expectation. More specific responses would come with added info and photos. All the best. 

Improved lower pole fullness as a breast implant descends in the capsule

In general the answer to your question is yes.  Time, weight and gravity will eventually force the implant down and when this happens the lower pole of your breast will be fuller. This may take up to 3 months depending upon your pre-existing anatomy, thickness of your muscle and the elasticity of your skin as well as the size and weight of the implant.