Extreme Breast Asymmetry, Stopped Growing Three Years Ago, What Are My Options?

Im a 20yr old and my left breast has been growing bigger than my right breast (its like comparing a grape to a mango) since puberty, my breast stopped growing three years ago and I would like to know what I can do about it because I would love for both breast to be big and be the same size,but the bigger one is sagging already. i am not comfortable with my body,what can I do? please help.

Doctor Answers 7

Correcting breast asymmetry may require breast augmentation and breast lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Correcting breast asymmetry can often produce very nice results but it can be a complex procedure depending on how small the small breast is.

If the small breast is a tuberous breast or has not developed at all,soft tissue expansion to enlarge the breast may be required rather than a simple implant.

If the small breast has developed but is simply smaller, then breast augmentation of the small breast with lifting and augmentation of the larger breast is the most common procedure.

Be certain to consult 2 board-certified plastic surgeons who are experienced an breast enhancement surgery.

Fat grafting is an excellent option

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Use external tissue expansion with the BRAVA and then using your own fat can give you a natural result.Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Breast Enhancement Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sounds like a commmon issue, you should see a local board certified surgeon to decide if you want to reduce one breast or increase the size of the other 

Correcting breast asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast asymmetry can be fixed very easily. A breast augmentation/lift on one or both breasts can be done to make them more symmetrical. However, I would suggest having an examination to ensure there isn't an underlying medical cause of the asymmetry. Good luck!  

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Treatment options for breast asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast asymmetry can definitely be treated. Although it is unlikely that your breasts will ever match exactly, it should be possible to get them similar. You should seek a consultation with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss all the options and find a surgeon you are comfortable with. Sometimes it is better to make the smaller one larger, sometimes reduce the larger one, or, probably most often, a combination of procedures will give you the best result. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Breast Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your email.

There are many different options for someone like yourself and an in person examination will give you the best information. The options of a breast lift on one side (or both- depending) as well as breast implants would be on the table.

I would ask that you visit with well experienced plastic surgeons who can show you examples of their work so that you are comfortable proceeding with surgery.

Best Wishes.

Treatment Options For Breast Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Treatment of breast asymmetries often involve a reduction on one side and an augmentation on the other.  However, with your situation and wishes, it sounds as if you would benefit from a bilateral augmentation (possibly with a small lift on the larger, sagging breast).

John Whitt, MD (retired)
Louisville Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.