Is my Breast Augmentation Dropping Normally? (photo)

I am 19 years old, 5'3" and 135lbs and I recently (5 weeks ago) had a subpectoral breast augmentation of 650cc's each and an inframammary incision. I previously was an A cup. I specifically wanted a very large breast implant. I am now wondering if my implants are progressing normally, I feel as though they are still very long and from my side profile a little flat. Also my nipple is still very low. Will it take longer for them because they are so large?

Why Do My Breasts Appear So High and So Long?

Breast augmentation subpectoral, either saline or silicone, will appear high and long for several months, and is directly related to tight muscles, tight skin, and malpositioned fluid.  From what I see, your implants are in the right place.  The fluid in your implants, however, is displaced upward due to skin and muscle pressure.  To assure yourself that the implants are in the right place, touch the bottom of your breasts.  If you feel firmness from your implant, then your implant is correctly positioned.  The skin at the bottom of your breast from your nipple to your inframammary incision needs to stretch, out and it will but you can help it by wearing a Bando or ace wrap above the implants to help push the fluid downward.  Secondly, try not to wear a bra as this pushes the bottom of the implant up, just the opposite of what you want.  Silicone nipple covers make a good alternative to bras for modesty reasons.  They cost less and are more comfortable.

As far as your nipples being low, that is because the fluid in the implant is displaced upward.  When it comes back to where it's supposed to be, the nipples will appear more correctly positioned. 

I don't believe the implants have to drop because they are in the right position.  It really is only the fluid that has to drop.  And by the way, congratulations.  It appears your doctor did an excellent job.

Breast dropping after augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).

Your breast implants do not seem to be dropping

Unfortunately, it looks like your implants are not dropping. Some may tell you that it takes up to 4 months to fully drop, but I personally think that is a reach. In my experience, when the implants are well positioned in an adequate pocket, they drop into very ice position within 6 weeks.  You should see your PS, but I suspect a revision is in your future. Sorry.

How long before implants drop when placed under the muscle

I think that an implant of the size that was used in your case will likely drop in time, but I will also say that if it was a textured implant, it will not drop as much as a smooth implant. In our patients that have the implant placed under the muscle we always use a compression band for the first 2 weeks to be worn at all times and then decrease it to 8 hours per day for weeks 3-4. This helps to get the muscle to relax and the implants to settle into a proper location. With you being so small framed, I think it still can happen but I think seeing your surgeon and having them take photos once  a month or so to monitor for progress will help. At some point, if they do not start dropping, a surgical revision of the pocket will be required I am afraid.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation dropping normally

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, and slight abnormalities during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Larger implants and tight skin will take longer to settle

After placing implants under the muscle, the muscles contract and create a temporary elevation of the implants. In addition, there is swelling and the skin is tighter than it will be months later. As the swelling resolves and the skin and muscles relax, the implants will settle into a more natural position. With tight skin and larger implants, it will take longer than average. You can check this link to see photos of a patient's breast augmentation over 9 months.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon

How long does it take for implants to drop

Hi,
 Based on your photos, you are progressing fairly normally.   Your breast tissue, skin, and muscle will take approximately 6 months to completely relax and stretch to accommodate your implants.  There already appears to have been some improvement from the first postop photo to the second.  As the implant drops when the lower part of the breast stretches out, your nipple will appear more centered rather than too low.
Good luck!

Nirav Savalia, MD

Breast inplants dropping normally? 5 weeks out.

Thank you for the photos.  Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will drop faster than the other, also the shape may go through changes. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. For example; we like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner. Please also let them know your thoughts and concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Looks normal

It looks like your breasts are dropping normally based on your photos. Usually, it takes about 4 months for this process, but it could take a little longer because of the size of your implants.

Ronald Levine, MD

Breast Implant malposition

Your breast implants have certainly been placed far too high and if it was simply a matter of settling then this would occur by 6-12 weeks 
you will need a revision to lower them by closing the upper part of the pocket