What Should I Do Now That my Breast Aug. Has Healed and I'm Disappointed? (photo)

My PS told me that I needed a Mastopexy prior to my Mommy Makeover. I said ok and paid for everything up front. After surgery my implants would not drop, they finally have somewhat, I'm 15 wks. out. I knew something didn't look right from the get go, I talked to him, he said give it time and if its not right, I'll correct it at no charge to you. Now he claims that he only did a mini lift during surgery and if I want the results I asked for I would need an anchor lift and I'd have to pay for it.

Why I don't usually recommend submuscular breast implants - to avoid Snoopy!

I usually recommend a subglandular placement of breast implants rather than a submuscular approach for the reason that your photos are showing:  the pectoralis major muscle pushes the implant upwards to a higher position than the normal breast tissue sits on the chest.

As we age, the breast tissue naturally has some droop, but if the implant is sitting too high on the chest, the breast tissue droops and "falls off" the implant, creating a look called the "Snoopy deformity" (like Snoopy the dog's long nose).  It is possible, and customary in my practice, to achieve a perky and NATURAL result by placing the implant behind the breast tissue alone. 

It is possible to improve the appearance, but it both options involve surgery: 

1. Change the plane of the implant from submuscular to subglandular
  2. Perform a lift of the surrounding breast tissue, but leave the implant placement alone

I would recommend a second opinion from a new "fresh pair of eyes", specifically seeking out a Plastic Surgeon who specializes in complicated breast surgery, both cosmetic and reconstructive.  Good luck!

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.A.C.S.

What Should I Do Now That my Breast Aug. Has Healed and I'm Disappointed?

The posted photos demonstrate an acceptable breast result in my opinion. But if you are unhappy than you could have a full lifting. The issue is the pre operative understudying between you and the surgeon of re4cord. Once there is a disagreement I would move on. Yes I know the new surgeon would charge you a fee but the bridge is burnt with the original surgeon. No trust can be regained ever. 

Breast augmentation result at 15 weeks is final.

1)  You don't look bad at all and most certainly you do not need an "anchor lift" (very few women do).

2)  I think one of the implant pockets is a little high and can be lowered. Also a touch up of the circumareolar (around the nipple) lift may help.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Shape issues following a breast augmentation

Your breasts actually look quite good and most likely you had a small peri-areolar breast lift at the time of your initial surgery.  Sometimes the muscle holds the implant in a high position after surgery.  If this is the case then an inferior capsule release or capsulectomy may correct the problem.  

Disappointed with breast lift

Your lift, a 'mini' lift was probably an around the nipple lift though your photo is quite fuzzy.Your result for 15 weeks is not so bad and will get better. You just might need a vertical lift if the look is not right for you, but do give it time.

Not Happy after Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment after breast surgery.  As you can imagine, online consultants will not be able to provide you with precise enough advice. Receiving meaningful vice would necessitate a full communication of your goals and direct physical examination.

Having said that, it is possible (after viewing your pictures)  that additional breast lifting will not be necessary to improve the aesthetic appearance of your breast. For example, it may be possible to adjust the breast implant pockets ( capsulotomy);  lowering the breast implants to some degree may help improve the position of the implants in relation to the breast tissue and nipple/areola complexes.

I would suggest calm and constructive communication  with your plastic surgeon. Hopefully you will be able to mutually figure out the best approach to achieve your goals. If not, seek additional  in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.

I hope this, and the attached link, help.

Disappointed breast augmentation

Before surgery would be helpful to see where you started and what type of lift may have been the best choice.  If the left needs to be redone, make sure the surgeon is aware of how the current procedure was done.  There is some risk of compromising the blood supply to the nipple areolar complex and the nipple areolar complex become non-viable.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon and if still not satisfied with the solution, get another opinion from an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon and then discuss their suggestions with your surgeon to see if you can't come to a happy resolution.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Disappointed after mastopexy

I can understand how you can be disappointed after your surgery.  Usually when disappointment happens it is a result of miscommunication or unmet expectations.  I think it would be worthwhile for you to sit down with your surgeon and "de-brief" in order to go over exactly what type of lift was recommended and planned.  There are a number of different ways to lift a breast, and all of them can be casually referred to as a "lift" however they will each produce different results in different cases.  You would actually benefit more from a vertical, or "lollipop" lift, and if this needs to be done, you may incur at least some additional expenses for the OR and anesthesia at a minimum.  Again, a frank discussion with your surgeon is the best next step.

Unhappy with Augmentation and Lift.

Dear Nik,

Thank you for your question/photos.

It appears you had a circum-areolar (donut) lift with your breast augmentation.  If you desire increased lift (as the circum-areolar lift is limited) I would suggest the vertical lift (lollipop) rather than an anchor lift.  I believe you can have a very nice result with this type of lift and avoid the large scar under the breast.  The following is an example of an augmentation/mastopexy with a vertical lift.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Disagreement between you and your surgeon

It is clear from your post that you and your plastic surgeon disagree on what the expected plan was for surgery.  I would recommend discussing it further with your surgeon.  If you cannot agree on how to fix it, a second opinion is in order.  Either way, if you and your surgeon don't have a good working relationship, you might consider another opinion.