Do you think my acne will disappear after two treatments of eMatrix without using any products?

I have combination skin and acne on the forehead and cheeks which is called acne vulgaris. My doctor gave me a lot of MEDICINES and I experienced allergic reactions on it. So, thats why my doctor says that my only choice is to take 2 treatments from Ematrix. Do you think it'll be effective for only 1 treatment? Do you think my acne will disappear without any using products after those 2 treatments? I'm really curious about it because it's really expensive and also this is my first time.

No, best is to treat acne and scarring at the same time.

The BEST solution is to treat acne and acne scarring at the same time. Early revision of scars can deliver the best results, however you will need to have a solution to place acne in remission- otherwise new scars will form. eMatrix is not designed to treat acne, yes, energy can be delivered into the sebaceous glands, but this is not enough to destroy the glands completely. There is a new version of RF that will be available in the US sometime in 2017-2018 known as AGNES- this is a needle delivery system invented by a clever Korean Dermatologist. This treatment uses longer insulated needles to specially target each acne gland in 4-5 pulses. For now, see a dermatologist to control your acne. All the best, Dr Davin LimLaser and aesthetic dermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne control prior to eMatrix treatment for acne scarring is advised

Acne control is a must BEFORE seeking treatment for the scarring. I advise that you find a specialist, like a dermatologist to control your acne with antibiotics or medication. Once the active acne is controlled, scarring can be addressed with sublative RF ablation (eMatrix) and/or fractional lasers. 

EMatrix and Acne

EMatrix is an excellent option to for acne and acne scarring.  As with other laser treatments, topical products are typically recommended to achieve optimal results.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

EMatrix for acne

eMatrix is a fantastic improvement for acne scarring. I often offer it as a treatment for scarring once acne is under control using medication or products. Some people with active acne have found that it improves their skin. I would not expect that this will be a long-term solution without additional acne treatment.

Ematrix for skin resurfacing, not acne control

Ematrix will help reduce any scarring you have, but it is not meant to treat acne. Acne can be treated internally with antibiotics or with topical products, some of which may be prescription and some not. There are many for a doctor to choose from so don't give up.

We see many patients who come to us for treatment of acne scars and EMatrix will help in that regard. You "could" get some minor improvement from the treatment simply from the heat applied to the skin, but it is not a solution for acne.

A laser called Isolaz has proven to be somewhat useful for acne control but it is generally not covered by insurance and requires repeat treatments and ongoing maintenance.

There are multiple options for acne control and in your case it is likely you simply haven't found the right topicals for your skin. A good skin cleansing brush can also help as it stimulates the skin and keeps the pores more open and cleaner than conventional cleaning methods.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

EMatrix and acne

eMatrix, in my opinion, works on superficial acne scarring. It doesn't treat bacteria so it can't control acne. I think you would be better to find some products that work first, to control the breakouts, and use the eMatrix later to help with any scarring.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Acne Treatment

It’s difficult to say without a picture. In my office I like to treat acne with a machine called Isolaz. Isolaz treatment is a light based device that will kill the excess bacteria in the skin. Your bacteria is contributing to your break outs, redness and inflammation. In most cases you need up to 6 Isolaz treatments for best results. After the Isolaz treatments if a patient has any scarring that’s when I like to use the Ematrix. The Ematrix can help improve your active acne but that is not the first treatment I would start with. Once you are done with your treatments skincare is very important to maintain the benefits of your treatments and to help prevent future break outs.
Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is best for you.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon