My 13 Year Old Daughter Was Just Told She May Have a Mild Case of Ptosis in One Eye Awaiting Appt with Specialist?

Anything we can do besides surgery? Any info would be appreciated. We are worried

Doctor Answers 2

Don't worry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

THere is really nothing to do while you wait for your consultation. If this is a new process, then it likely is not Congenital ptosis. The good news is that her eyelid ptosis is mild. Correction of mild congenital [or acquired] ptosis is very safe and reliable. But she needs to be evaluated by an Oculoplastics surgeon.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Treatment of Congenital eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unilateral congenital eyelid ptosis is a relatively common condition.  In more severe cases, where vision is compromised, a surgical correction of the ptosis is usually recommended. However, if the ptosis is mild then no treatment may be necessary.  If the ptosis is solely an issue of cosmetic asymmetry,  then you and your daughter will need to weigh the risks and benefits of the surgery carefully.  One temporary, non-surgical, option is to use double sided eyelid tapes to help support the ptotic lid.  Best wishes.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.