I had a crown done 2 yrs ago. Dentist said it decayed underneath and I have to have an implant now. How does this happen?

Recurrent decay

There are many reasons that a crown can fail in a short period of time. Yes, it is possible that the original crown didn't fit well. This is only one reason. Your diet and nutritional habits play a large role in the longevity of a restoration. Without a before and after xray and picture it's impossible to determine the cause. I suggest you move forward with the implant and put this experience behind you.

Dental implants

Hi, thanks for write... Normally this could happens because your dental crown is not well adapted to the tooth and has filtration, go for your implant, good luck. 

Jepssy Beltre, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist