Uneven asymmetric nipples after lift / implant exchange /capsule repair, is there something I can do to help this? (photo)

My Dr said my breasts will stay how they are (he used mesh for capsule repair)- i guess my "pockets" were destroyed. He knows I workout & lift weights & have 2 kids to carry around so he made sure to "lock them in place." I notice 1 nipple sits higher, also 1 breast is a bit smaller & harder than the other. What can I do to help this? Or if not, is it something Dr's fix normally? Or do I pay for another surgery? (Appt w/ my Dr in 3wks, I will bring this up, he just didnt offer much help lasttime

Asymmetry after breast surgery

Overall you have a lovely result. Your scars are very fine, the nipples are not misshapen, and the asymmetry is very modest. Remember that 90% of women who have never had surgery have visible breast asymmetry. "Breasts are sisters not twins".  Revising areola size is easy, but I would let things settle over the next year, and continue to revisit your results with your surgeon.  Efforts to gain near perfect symmetry can result in complications: no surgery is without complications. 

Asymmetry

From the photos you have enclosed, the result looks quite good. I would tell my patients that sometimes trying to get the last 5% of improvement may set you back in the overall result. Having said that, certainly you can make small adjustments to areolar size or position or size of the breasts with a small touchup. Rather than switch implants for small differences in size, fat grafting is another option because it can be placed exactly where the deficiency is compared to the other side. I would discuss these options as well as oral medications that may improve a firm feeling breast implant called capsular contracture. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Uneven asymmetric nipples after lift / implant exchange /capsule repair, is there something I can do to help this?

Although the asymmetry that you are referring to is visible in the posted photograph,  I think that you have achieved a very nice outcome with relatively complex surgery. Probably  the least complicated way to improve your  symmetry will be to raise the  nipple/areola complex that is sitting lower on your chest wall. Keep in mind, that every operation carries risks and that (despite best efforts) absolute symmetry will likely not be achieved. Only proceed with surgery if the degree of asymmetry is of significant concern to you. Best wishes.

As good as it will be for you

You are being way too critical here. For BIG implants which lead to more problems and for having a complex revision already, there is an almost perfect result in your photos, one which really should be left alone. Your asymmetry is so minor that it should not bother you as it is well within normal - nobody is perfect.

If you persist in more surgery, you could actually ruin what is a nice result. Please don't do that as you will regret it.

Breast asymmetry and breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns. This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

As for your result. You have a nice result. It is not perfect, but it is good. You can always have a revision, but with each surgery there are risks and benefits and costs. You have weigh all factors in making a decision.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon