Can I have my one year old 700cc saline implants removed under local anesthesia without pocket closure ?

I am 30. I have had my 700 cc saline under the muscle implants for one year and I hate them and want them out completely. They were put in through an areola incision. Will it be possible to have them taken out under local? I'm assuming since they were in only a year that I won't have to have the pockets closed ? It should be simple ? I know I will need a lift later but won't be able to afford that for about a year. These things have to come out now.

700 mL Saline Breast Implant Removal under Local Anesthesia

In short, yes, it is possible to have your saline implants deflated and shells removed under local anesthesia.

Plastic Surgeons will argue whether or not you need to have the surrounding scar removed.  There are pros and cons of both.  Personally, I do not think that it is mandatory unless you are having a scar capsule problem.

Consider having drains placed at the  time of breast implant removal to help your large implant pocket shrink down more quickly. Drains can typically be removed at about 7-10 days after surgery.

Yes, a lift can be performed later, if desired.

To be sure, see two or more board certified plastic surgeons for a consultation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Removal of implants

Yes, implants can removed in the office under local anesthesia.  However, if you have much scar tissue, or capsule, around the implant, you may need more than local anesthesia.  Your surgeon should be able to use the same incision.  I would suggest discussing this with a plastic surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Can 700 cc under the muscle implants be removed under local anesthesia?

The answer is a qualified yes depending upon your temperament and ability to withstand discomfort.

I would suggest however that you consider IV sedation which will make the procedure much more comfortable for you and your surgeon.

Since they are saline they can likely be removed through the areola incision.  However if your surgeon closed the incision in the muscle then an inframammary crease incision may be required.  Please consult with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Implant Removal - 700cc saline implants removed under local anesthesia ?

Maybe, but that doesn't necessarily sound like a good idea - what would happen if you have excess or unanticipated pain, or bleeding?  While - in general - smooth saline implants above the muscle are the best combination to be removed under local anesthesia alone, even in that case one could argue that being prepared for deeper anesthesia is prudent.  That means that having this done in a surgical facility that has an anesthesiologist "on standby" or nearby would allow your surgeon to be prepared for any eventuality.

I'd recommend doing this in a setting that allows for deeper anesthesia if necessary.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the breast implants. There are many options available to you. Straightforward breast implant removal can certainly be done under local anesthesia barring any additional work necessary and assuming a relatively “stoic” patient.  Another option is in office deflation (puncture of the implant externally) and eventual breast implant removal/mastopexy surgery as indicated.  Generally speaking, I  do not generally remove breast implant capsules unless they are thickened or calcified/symptomatic;  I do however often remove a small segment of capsule tissue when removing breast implants ( even when not encapsulated) with the hope that this maneuver will help with fluid resorption (and help prevent seroma formation). I usually use drains also.

What your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.  In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon on a frequent basis;  he/she will be in the best position to rule out and treat complications such as fluid accumulation,  and will be in the best position to provide you with meaningful reassurance.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Implant removal under local

Because you have saline implants and are sure you are done with them, you can also have them ruptured by a plastic surgeon in the office before surgery just to make sure you will be happy with them completely gone.  I remove a large number of implants under local, and depending on several factors it can be quite easy.  It depends on your temperament, for some it is simply too stressful.  Also if these implants are textured or have a thick capsule that will be palpable after removal, then often times general anesthesia may be necessary.  I still remove them in an operating room, so I have the lighting and equipment necessary if there is an unexpected issue.  As to incision size, these are saline implants that you are done with,  often I need a much smaller incision to remove them because I can rupture them and pull them out through a smaller incision.  Regardless, it is harder for your surgeon to do it under local because we can't  go as quickly as we might like.  See a board certified  plastic surgeon and get their opinion.  If they are uncomfortable with local, then you may need general. Whether or not the capsule needs to be removed will be up to your surgeons assessment.  I find is usually don't need to remove them unless they are thick and scarred.   Hope this helps.

Melinda Haws, MD

700 cc breast implants- Remove under local anesthesis

Removal of breast implants under local anesthesia has the potential to be very painful. I have seen
several patients who had this done by other physicians in their office with local anesthestics only, and they
described how painful and upsetting this was to them.
Also, the size of the implants is quite large and my bet is that the surgeon would have to make a bigger incision to get them out or puncture them which could lead to an infection in the pocket. Also very upsetting, if you are awake.
I would recommend that you have the implants removed under sterile conditions with very adequate anesthesia.
The incision to remove the implants would obviously need to be closed. Closing down the pocket itself could lead
to a scar contracture that could deform the remaining breast tissue.
Please discuss this issue with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Hope this helps
Dr. Rodgers

There is always the potential for a fluid collection to develop in the previous space.  Closing the pocket may help in this sense.