Curious to Know if There is a Surgeon Willing to Take on my Case?

I have CRPS in my entire left side for the past 7yrs. I'm interested in a mommy makeover, arm lift and thigh, buttock lift. I also have type 2 diabetes. Curious to know if there is a surgeon willing to take on my case? I've been trying for over 7yrs to lose my pregnancy weight but it's impossible to workout when my physical mobility is minimal. I'm as active as possible. I walk, swim and ride my bicycle. Having this fat suit on makes all that more difficult. Please help?

MM for a diabetic

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

CRPS and Diabetes

Given your CRPS, I would recommend a team approach to plan your treatment.  I would definitely have your pain management specialist on board to assist with your postoperative pain management.  Given your Diabetes, we need to make sure your sugars are tightly controlled.  So I would recommend medicine clearance as well.  Please visit with a board certified PS to discuss your options and weight the risks and benefits of elective surgery.  Best wishes

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

The CRPS and diabetes are not absolute show-stoppers by themselves, but the do affect the risk benefit ration. More problematic could be the weight if it brings your body-mass index (BMI) above 30. All the procedures you note could not be done at once, so the lowerst risk ones might be best done first, and how you do would determine the next step.;

The doc managing your pain would need to be on board to help your surgeon with post-op pain management. For some of the procedures, there are some local anesthetic meds or pumps that can help provide local anesthesia for 3 days or so. 

All the best

Body contouring surgery with multiple medical problems

There are 3 issues that impact whether you should have surgery and what surgery you should have. Those are being overweight, having CRPS and having diabetes.

If you are more than 100 pounds above ideal body weight it would be safest for you to get below that in order to safely undergo the surgery. If you cannot lose this amount on your own you should undergo medically supervised weight loss or bariatric surgery before undergoing body contouring surgery.

Do you have a confirmed nerve injury (CRPS-II) or not (CRPS-I)? In the absence of a confirmed injury you have to be very careful that you do not aggravate the condition with cosmetic surgery. If you have a confirmed injury and your CRPS is isolated to the limbs it should not impact contouring surgery of the torso.  Brachioplasty or thigh lift on a limb that has either type of CRPS is not a good idea because the condition impacts healing and could be aggravated by the surgery. Limb liposuction may be an option in such cases depending on the patient.

Diabetes is not so much of an issue as long as your blood sugar levels are controlled, you do not have too much surgery at one time (separate limb and torso surgery) and your internist is involved in your care before and after surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Mommy make over

Honestly I would have to take a look to see all of the Surgery you desire. Need to go over your health. Diabetes is not a contraindication. But we may want to so your surgery at the hospital. We have special rates at the hospital. 

Ben J. Childers, MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

In our team: we have a pain medicine specialist.

Allways to us pain its a part of a list of main concerns. The pain medicine specialist sees our patients always prior to surgery. We need to run blood tests and cardiological evaluation. Safety first. Regarding the procedures you requested i think that you can choose to do the mmo and arm and tighs in an other surgical time.  Al this only if the pain specialist gives you a green light for the procedures. Hope to see you soon. 

Dr jpc

Mommy makeover with CRPS

I think that you are a candidate for cosmetic surgery despite your co-morbidities (Type II diabetes and CRPS).

Make sure to involve your pain specialist but more importantly, use a multi modality approach to pain control including pre-injections of local anesthetic, a lidocaine patch and either Neurontin or Lyrica. Then, you should be on an NSAID post-operatively and narcotics as needed.

Good luck!

Gil Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Surgery with Complex Region Pain Syndrome (CRPS)

Thanks for your question. Obviously, while you are asking this to a global online community, this is a question to pose to your local Plastic Surgeons. Your situation will likely require a team approach, and should involve your physician who is currently taking care of you for CRPS. For that reason alone, it doesn't look like you would be a good candidate to travel far for surgery. You didn't include pictures, but your comments suggest that your issue (at least to some degree) involves excess weight; it is important to understand that a mommy makeover, or tummy tuck for that matter, is not a weight loss solution. I often tell my patients that the more weight you can lose, the better job I can do for you. In situations where there is a significant pannus (overhang of the abdominal tissue), a tummy tuck can improve mobility and the ability to exercise. Depending on your current situation and BMI, perhaps bariatric surgery (assuming you are unable to lose any additional weight on your own) might be a better first step-- once your weight is down, if you even feel like you need a tummy tuck anymore it will have a better result. Good luck!

Matt Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Elective Surgery for Someone with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome

It is not unreasonable for you to seek elective, aesthetic surgery even with CRPS, however to say it won't provoke some anxiety on behalf of your surgeon would be dishonest.  I'm sure your surgeon would want a pain management specialist to be a part of the "team" along with the anesthesiologist, to optimize both your pre- and post-surgical pain regimen. 

Age and weight as well as overall health and the control of diabetes as well as CRPS would be critical to determining the appropriateness of surgical intervention.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA