Can I have any procedures done if I have a platelet dysfunction? If so, would you recommend 1 procedure at a time?

I am 40yrs old, have had 4 children & about 50lbs overweight. I am in definite need of a tummy tuck or body lift and breastlift or augmentation. I have a platelet dysfunction/storage pool disorder. I do not see a hematologist regularly as there is nothing due unless major blood loss.

Platelet disorder

Thank you for your question.  You would need to be seen by a hematologist prior to consideration for surgical candidacy.  There are several excellent hematologists in Murfreesboro who can assist in perioperative management of your platelet disorder.  It is not uncommon for plastic surgeons to coordinate patients' care with  PCPs or medical specialists before surgery to ensure safety.  We would be happy to see you in consultation to determine what procedures would best meet your goals and then obtain recommendations from your hematologist for any necessary perioperative management of your platelet disorder.  Best wishes!

Thank you for your question. In every surgery there is some blood loss. You would have to talk to your Hematologist to see if he will give the clearance for a cosmetic procedure. 

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery with platelet disorder

Obviously, any surgery has a blood loss component.  Step one is to consult with your hematologist as you will not be able to have any surgery without medical clearance. Blood loss under these circumstances is a definite concern.

This is a better discussion with your hematologist and plastic surgeeon as there are many types of platelet dysfunctions and more information is needed. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS