Solarium before breast augmentation?

I know I have to wait about 8 weeks before going to solarium after the surgery. But what about the time before the surgery? Would it have an effect on the incision? If so, when should I stop? I'd really like to have a tan since I won't be able to do it for quite a time after the surgery.

Solarium before Breast Augmentation

Solarium may cause a burn on your skin, which takes about 2 weeks to recover. Thus, you may avoid going to solarium 2 weeks prior to the surgery.

Anyway, the burn may have a negative impack on your incision, thus I would recommend you avoid solarium about 8 weeks after operation. 

Solarium before breast augmentation?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. You have to stop few weeks before your surgery but however it will be best to check with your surgeon that will be performing the surgery. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Solarium before breast augmentation?

Tanning is not recommended for breast augmentation certainly post-op but even for several weeks pre-op. You should consult with a Board Certified PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Tanning

Thank you for your question. I don't recommend tanning for a couple of months after surgery, while the tissues are still tight or swollen. As well, it is often recommended that you protect your incisions from tanning throughout the first year as they can darken with this exposure. Beforehand, damaging or burning your skin wouldn't be ideal. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about your expectations for healing and let them advise you.

All the best

Solarium

You should have no problem with the healing of the incision as lons as you do not have any skin injury, i.e. sunburn. I think a week  prior to your procedure would be satisfactory to stop.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Solarium and tanning before breast augmentation.

Please understand our positive intention when we surgeons say that you should avoid and refrain from sun beds and artificial UV tanning systems.

You can use the solarium before surgery, but try to avoid it as much as possible. Most individuals stop 2 weeks before their surgery.

Although you already know that you must avoid tanning beds and sun exposure following breast augmentation for at least 6-8 weeks, let me tell you why.

One, they negatively affect the wound healing by damaging the immune system. For example, a sunburn can change the distribution and function of disease-fighting white blood cells for up to 24 hours post-sun exposure. If you are doing this for a long time before surgery, it may affect the healing of your breasts after augmentation.

Two, they have a negative impact on the quality of your skin. Studies show that on a cellular level, increased UV exposure caused on swelling of endothelial cells (cells of blood vessels), and causes infiltration by white blood cells, and reduced the tensile strength of wounds. UV rays also speed up aging and sagging of the skin by destroying collagen resulting in premature wrinkling, brown ‘liver’ spots and loss of skill elasticity.

Three, your breasts will be more sensitive to sunburns resulting in more severe pain.

Four, the sun beds can increase your risk of developing skin cancer.  

Five, the UV exposure can worsen the scarring and cause its hyperpigmentation and darkening.

That being said, you are allowed to get sun exposure as it is important for vitamin D production, etc. However, it is important to always wear sun screen with both UVA and UVB protection with spf greater than 30. You should cover your scars during tanning as they can take up to one year to fully mature.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD