Need a tummy tuck - my abdomen and stomach look as if i am pregnant which I am not.

It' time for them to leave my body, Okease

What you want may be reasonable, but pictures or an exam would be necessary to make a useful recommendation.
Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck

Tummy tuck surgery can now be performed as an outpatient procedure often with twilight anesthesia. The surgery takes several hours and usually afterwards you are placed in a compression garment that is worn for 1 to 2 weeks. You should ask your doctor about the use of a pain pump to minimize postoperative discomfort and speed recover by releasing pain medication in the abdomen during the first few days after surgery. My patients generally return to work in one to two weeks. Note that you may walk and sit a little hunched over for a few days after the operation. Don’t even try to stand up straight during this time—you risk separating the incisions. Also, you should minimize the strenuousness or suddenness of such exertions as coughing, sneezing, and laughing.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck candidate

You could have a weakness of your abdominal wall (called rectus diastasis) which can make women look pregnant. A tummy tuck can tighten your abdominal muscles and create a flatter abdominal contour. Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person for an exam.
Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Post-pregnancy belly

A belly that sticks out after pregnancy will most likely be the result of a muscle diastasis- which is separation of the six pack muscles from being stretched. A lot of times after pregnancy these muscles do not go back together the way they were before pregnancy and the result is a belly that sticks out. All the ab workouts in the world will not fix this because the muscles are physically separated. The only true way to treat this is with a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) which removes the excess hanging skin and repairs the muscle separation. Best of luck. 

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Need a tummy tuck - my abdomen and stomach look as if I am pregnant which I am not.

If your abdomen look as if you are pregnant, you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  If your are considering having children, I would suggest completing your family, first, before having the surgery.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that has extensive tummy tuck experience, and plan on a recover time of 3 to 6 weeks.  If you are overweight, try to get your weight down to one recommended for your height and frame, prior to your procedure.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

If you look like you're pregnant when you are not, you may well be a candidate for a tummy tuck.  Those who have loose skin and a separated abdominal muscle are typically considered as possible candidates for tummy tuck. In addition, it is important to be emotionally stable, have realistic expectations about what a tummy tuck can and cannot accomplish, and adequate physical and emotional support throughout your recovery period. As you can see from the RealSelf reviews, tummy tuck enjoys a very high patient satisfaction rate.   Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in body contouring for best results.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. You will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery; definitive advice however would necessitate much more information.  Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
 When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. Keep in mind, that it is a major operation, associated with a significant physical (and often emotional) recovery period.  Having enough help/support at home for yourself and any dependents will be important  part of the planning process. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Need a Tummy Tuck

Seek a consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to find out what options are available to you. You can find a listing of qualified surgeons in your state if you go to the web site for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD